Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cleaning shoes/bikes etc for shipping

Cleaning shoes/bikes etc for shipping

Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cleaning shoes/bikes etc for shipping

How has everyone gone about this?
Do the shippers give you advice?
How clean do they have to be?

Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:43 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleaning shoes/bikes etc for shipping

Originally Posted by Luma

Thanks
The advice we were given last week is that if customs find any mud on shoes or tyres then they will fumigate the entire container and charge you for the pleasure.

What was worrying is that if you are shipping a partial-container (i.e. sharing) then if the other party ship muddy items then you will share the cost of decontamination. If you are using a good shipping company then they will ensure that this does not happen.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

daisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nicedaisydaydream is just really nice

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
The advice we were given last week is that if customs find any mud on shoes or tyres then they will fumigate the entire container and charge you for the pleasure.

What was worrying is that if you are shipping a partial-container (i.e. sharing) then if the other party ship muddy items then you will share the cost of decontamination. If you are using a good shipping company then they will ensure that this does not happen.
When my husband went over Xmas 2005 he had his golf shoes in his bag and the customs officials went bar-my at him because they had mud on them, they jet washed them and said " if it happens again you wont be allowed entry into the country and we will fine you $900 for the pleasure. So my advice is make sure they are sparkling.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:14 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

The only thing that got kept back of my stuff by immigration was my riding boots . I had cleaned them - and they hadn't been near mud or horses etc for more than 4 years.

I'd spend bloody forever cleaning my walking boots, they still looked crap when I finished, and I debated whether to put them in or not. Not a peep about them.

I guess it's pot luck, and although I can't remember, maybe the packers wrote 'riding boots' on the box, though I doubt it.

Get that elbow greased!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yup clean all soil and gunge off. DO NOT powerwash bikes though it really is not good for them it forces lubricant out of the hubs etc - just get some 'muk off' from a bike shop and hose and brush off all dirt.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:59 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
READ This .......................
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...00060B0AA00014 .............. mm
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the good tips.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:49 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We got lots of shoes through no bother but chucked the hiking ones as would never get clean.

We had heard that many horror stories about bikes etc. where they charged for clean or destruction we gave those away and bought new here as they were getting on anyway.

Pickfords advised us to get rid of bbq and all garden stuff which was a right ball ache as costs more over here so wigh hindsight would try and bring it if you can get squeaky clean as grass cutter was double the price here and same for strimmer.

Only thing in our container customs hicked on was old snake skin in with photo of child holding it... held container for 1 week for that while they asked what we wanted to do with it... said chuck it and then it turned up with container anyway. Think they just make it up on the day.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

Thanks everyone for the good tips.
Hi-Doing the same thing - if you do a forum search on "Virkon" you'll find some useful posts regarding cleaning
S
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that - extremely interesting reading!

Originally Posted by stubbyholder
Hi-Doing the same thing - if you do a forum search on "Virkon" you'll find some useful posts regarding cleaning
S
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:49 pm
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annqldau
We got lots of shoes through no bother but chucked the hiking ones as would never get clean.

We had heard that many horror stories about bikes etc. where they charged for clean or destruction we gave those away and bought new here as they were getting on anyway.

Pickfords advised us to get rid of bbq and all garden stuff which was a right ball ache as costs more over here so wigh hindsight would try and bring it if you can get squeaky clean as grass cutter was double the price here and same for strimmer.

Only thing in our container customs hicked on was old snake skin in with photo of child holding it... held container for 1 week for that while they asked what we wanted to do with it... said chuck it and then it turned up with container anyway. Think they just make it up on the day.

Wondering about petrol lawn mower, is it worth bringing? Are they expensive over there?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

We washed and scrubbed all bikes, shoes, terracotta planters, etc, and when AQIS got the inventory list of the boxes, these items where all highlighted (including xmas deccies) and had been opened by customs - but no problems as they had all been given a good scrub with water/bicarb soda -- ironically my golf clubs and shoes where airfreighted with some other essentials, and their packaging wasn't even opened.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light

Cleaned everything then they did us on our xmas decorations
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:25 am
Just Joined

goppie has a brilliant futuregoppie has a brilliant futuregoppie has a brilliant futuregoppie has a brilliant futuregoppie has a brilliant futuregoppie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bill drinkwater
Cleaned everything then they did us on our xmas decorations

What kind of decorations,I have just packed the glass and synthetic ones, did you have cones etc
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Thanks
I jet washed the bikes. The removal guys must have then wheeled them into the van. I had the option to clean or destroy on one bike, chose clean and the bike still came back with mud on it. Got the impression I was conned!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.