Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cleaning before shipping, bikes, tools etc?

Cleaning before shipping, bikes, tools etc?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question Cleaning before shipping, bikes, tools etc?

Just a general question, on our shipping notes we have been requested to state what we used to clean our Bikes, Tools etc.
It says we must use a MAFF approved product, and name it? I know this is for the prevention of Foot & Mouth etc, but surely if everything is spotless why should we have to name a product?

We are going to steam clean everything by the way and use "Jeyes" I believe this to be acceptable, but we would like other people's views on what you used etc.

It also says they will turn the container round if not clean enough :scared: :scared: surely not?????

Cheers
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:34 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Cleaning before shipping, bikes, tools etc?

Originally Posted by Dicko
Just a general question, on our shipping notes we have been requested to state what we used to clean our Bikes, Tools etc.
It says we must use a MAFF approved product, and name it? I know this is for the prevention of Foot & Mouth etc, but surely if everything is spotless why should we have to name a product?

We are going to steam clean everything by the way and use "Jeyes" I believe this to be acceptable, but we would like other people's views on what you used etc.

It also says they will turn the container round if not clean enough :scared: :scared: surely not?????

Cheers
Jeyes fluid is the cleaning product that's recommended.

We also used hammerite paint on things we thought might get extra attention e.g garden tools, DIY tools camping stove etc.

I have heard on this site of people being threatened that their containers will be turned around although I've not heard this first hand. More likely is that AQUIS will charge you to de-contaminate your container....and this will cost you an arm and a leg...at least. Best to make sure everything is spotless and give them less ammunition to fire...so to speak.

Another tip; AQUIS are paranoid about fir cones or natural wood, especially on Xmas decorations. We removed all fir cones and natural wood from our Xmas decs and labelled the relevent boxes "no fir cones/no wood". This helped them see we'd already sorted them out and none of our Xmas dec boxes were opened. The only prob we had was with a artificial plant. This got confiscated ...naughty person me

good luck. This is the b*lls aching part. You're nearly there when you've got this far

Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough

Cheers
We are useing jayes on shoes ect but not taking bikes or garden tools the cost of shipping and cleaning we feel it will be cheaper to buy second hand in aus
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:13 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Dicko,
Bikes are very cheap in Oz,so unless you have a top of the range model i wouldnt bother with all the hassle,we kitted all five of us out with mountain bikes,good ones for less than £500 the lot.
Will probably cost you more than the bikes worth if the customs have to clean it(thats even with the slightest trace of dirt!)

Donna.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:26 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Cleaning before shipping, bikes, tools etc?

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Jeyes fluid is the cleaning product that's recommended.

We also used hammerite paint on things we thought might get extra attention e.g garden tools, DIY tools camping stove etc.

I have heard on this site of people being threatened that their containers will be turned around although I've not heard this first hand. More likely is that AQUIS will charge you to de-contaminate your container....and this will cost you an arm and a leg...at least. Best to make sure everything is spotless and give them less ammunition to fire...so to speak.

Another tip; AQUIS are paranoid about fir cones or natural wood, especially on Xmas decorations. We removed all fir cones and natural wood from our Xmas decs and labelled the relevent boxes "no fir cones/no wood". This helped them see we'd already sorted them out and none of our Xmas dec boxes were opened. The only prob we had was with a artificial plant. This got confiscated ...naughty person me

good luck. This is the b*lls aching part. You're nearly there when you've got this far
What about Pine furniture?

Are you allowed to ship this as we have quite a bit of it?

I have seen a lot of people on this forum disappointed that they cant take their 'Wicker' furniture with them. They should be grateful, its the most noisiest and uncomfortable stuff I have had the displeasure of planting my backside on. Never seen the point of it.

R.