Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Classic cars to Australia

Classic cars to Australia

Old Aug 19th 2006, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

suffolkfolk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Classic cars to Australia

We are coming to Australia next year and would like to know if anyone has had experience of importing a classic car ( in our case an E-type Jaguar)
I am very confused as to how much tax I might be liable to pay, It would appear that it all depends on the value of the car and whether it incurs luxury vehicle tax or not.
I have been told by customs that I just bring the car over and it is valued on landing and the tax worked out, but that seems a bit strange as that could mean the tax is anything from $500 to $12000 !!! :scared: Does any one know anything about this that might help
Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2006, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classic cars to Australia

Originally Posted by suffolkfolk
We are coming to Australia next year and would like to know if anyone has had experience of importing a classic car ( in our case an E-type Jaguar)
I am very confused as to how much tax I might be liable to pay, It would appear that it all depends on the value of the car and whether it incurs luxury vehicle tax or not.
I have been told by customs that I just bring the car over and it is valued on landing and the tax worked out, but that seems a bit strange as that could mean the tax is anything from $500 to $12000 !!! :scared: Does any one know anything about this that might help
Thanks
Tax on our classic Merc was very little. They caclulate on second hand value, not collectors value which is probably not a lot. But beware. In the end the cost of transport, insurance, adaptations to meet Oz standards made it all costly. In the end we regreted having not sold it in the UK before we left.
Good luck