Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Class/wealth and schools

Class/wealth and schools

Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Class/wealth and schools

A rather sobering read adding to the pressure I for one already feel to fork out big time for private education.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...74-601,00.html
Old Jul 6th 2006, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of
Default Re: Class/wealth and schools

Originally Posted by jad n rich
A rather sobering read adding to the pressure I for one already feel to fork out big time for private education.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...74-601,00.html
As discussed on another private schools thread the main problem is getting in.
Long waiting lists.

This just confirms what the article says.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

I noticed WA was not mentioned. A friend in the education department here warned us that some of the state schools are not very good. We were told that Churchlands, Carine and Woodvale in the northern suburbs and Rossmoyne in the south (and a couple of others I dont remember) were good, performing as well as and in some areas, better than some of the private schools. But they are in better areas so not everyone can afford to live in the catchment area. I believe alot of people put their kids in state junior schools and private high schools. Some people put their kids names on the list at birth!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossfive5
I noticed WA was not mentioned. A friend in the education department here warned us that some of the state schools are not very good. We were told that Churchlands, Carine and Woodvale in the northern suburbs and Rossmoyne in the south (and a couple of others I dont remember) were good, performing as well as and in some areas, better than some of the private schools. But they are in better areas so not everyone can afford to live in the catchment area. I believe alot of people put their kids in state junior schools and private high schools. Some people put their kids names on the list at birth!
We have put our son's name down for 2009 entry into Guilford Grammar Prep School. He's three at the moment. Gotta get in early!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:06 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We have put our son's name down for 2009 entry into Guilford Grammar Prep School. He's three at the moment. Gotta get in early!
We had to register at 5 months and were the last on the list for her year. Only being accepted due to wife being an old girl.

Where in the article does it reference "parents input". I am sure that some well meaning parents who cant afford to send their kids too private. But provide reading time and other stimulates to their kids even within a "poor" public school may still achieve similar results.

The joke in the UK are the parents who wont send their kids to Private school but will pay for the extra price in housing to get their kids into a "good" public school.

Kiwi
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by thebears
We had to register at 5 months and were the last on the list for her year. Only being accepted due to wife being an old girl.

Where in the article does it reference "parents input". I am sure that some well meaning parents who cant afford to send their kids too private. But provide reading time and other stimulates to their kids even within a "poor" public school may still achieve similar results.

The joke in the UK are the parents who wont send their kids to Private school but will pay for the extra price in housing to get their kids into a "good" public school.

Kiwi
I think people are a bit wary of some private schools in the UK because they are not ofsted inspected, you can pay through the nose for a private school but still not get value for money. The private schools do have the independent inspectorate but the reports are somethimes 6 years old. The danger is that there is nothing to compare it too. Whereas the public schools are all inspected at regular intervals and you have detailed reports on how they are performing on a personal level as well as compared to other schools.

Many parents move so that they can live within the catchment area of a good primary and secondary school, they can save a lot of money throughout their childrens educations especially if they have more than 1 child. Even if they pay the higher cost in house prices, they should always get this money back eventually, as these properties will always be sought after. They also have the added bonus of being close to the school, can make life a lot easier than driving miles to a private school.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:51 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are obviously the bogan family from hell and not worthy of being parents, but my kids will be going to a public school.

My eldest 2 boys are both above average academically, according to their teachers who i met with yesterday, but i refuse to have people tell me i will be "letting them down" by not putting them to private school. How dare people presume that because you prefer not to or can't afford to put your kids private then your kids are dissadvantaged.

Private education is not an option for us for many reasons, it would be extremely hard financially for starters and would mean many sacrifices in other areas which may disadvantage the kids, private schools here in WA are all religion based, we have no interest in religion and feel it would be hypocritical to put our kids to a school whichn puts so much emphasis on something we don't practice, i ws also talking with a high school teacher the other day who said there is no wayhe would put his kids private as there is so little regulation of the schools and the teachers, class sizes are often much larger and the teachers aparantly don't have to be qualified to the same standards. So in short your kids may not have to mix with poorer children but will thier education bebetter??????

Sorry to rant but it is something that really bugs me.

Lynn
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:00 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron8123
I think people are a bit wary of some private schools in the UK because they are not ofsted inspected, you can pay through the nose for a private school but still not get value for money. The private schools do have the independent inspectorate but the reports are somethimes 6 years old. The danger is that there is nothing to compare it too. Whereas the public schools are all inspected at regular intervals and you have detailed reports on how they are performing on a personal level as well as compared to other schools.

Many parents move so that they can live within the catchment area of a good primary and secondary school, they can save a lot of money throughout their childrens educations especially if they have more than 1 child. Even if they pay the higher cost in house prices, they should always get this money back eventually, as these properties will always be sought after. They also have the added bonus of being close to the school, can make life a lot easier than driving miles to a private school.
Some good points mate - especially like the one about "6 years old" results. That is partly why we chose an OZ school - the UK privates we visited were all resting on their laurels and had no current results to justify their fees. I have nothing bad to say either way - parents just do what is right for their kids - its just either way we all end up spending money on them dont we?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
private schools here in WA are all religion based, we have no interest in religion and feel it would be hypocritical to put our kids to a school whichn puts so much emphasis on something we don't practice
Bit of a sweeping statement. Some are, some are not. Guilford Grammar is not.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:06 am
Melbourne Australia

Well we are obviously the bogan family from hell and not worthy of being parents, but my kids will be going to a public school.Lynn
STRONGLY DISAGREE with first part - no judgement on sending your kids to public either.

My eldest 2 boys are both above average academically, according to their teachers who i met with yesterday, but i refuse to have people tell me i will be "letting them down" by not putting them to private school. How dare people presume that because you prefer not to or can't afford to put your kids private then your kids are dissadvantaged.

Sorry to rant but it is something that really bugs me.

Lynn
Agree whole heartily with your comment on "how dare they" - people all have their own rights to choose for their kids and from your post I gather you have alot of passion and desire for your kids which money cant buy. That makes you a top notch parent Pity the parents that fork out large sums of money for private and spend no time with the kids.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron8123
I think you'll find that this is changing - our boys attend a private primary here in the UK and last year they had their first OFSTED inspection. Before this they came under a different scheme. All private nurseries are under OFSTED.
Whether our school choose to go undergo OFSTED off their own back or it is now OFSTED requirement I don't know.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
and the parents get a better deal too...(!)

We need to pay a hundred bucks and put Miss Badge on the waiting list for 2018, so we have 12 years or so to make up our minds. The local primary is grouse and quite adequate.

If religion meant subsidised private education, I'd be in like Flynn. I went to a church school and all it entailed was a couple of hours a week, and a few of the assemblies were basically rehashed happy stories out of the bible but it didn't hurt me.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jul 6th 2006 at 8:18 am.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:24 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Bit of a sweeping statement. Some are, some are not. Guilford Grammar is not.
Ok Point taken, but most are, there is nothing anywhere near to we live that is non religion based and i see all these people rushing to put there kids into the local Catholic school who are no closer to being Catholic than i am to being a size 8, it just doesn't make sence to me.

I think also a lot of people believe private to be better just because they are paying for it wihtout putting too much research into it. I often hear people say, "little johnny will be going private because we can afford it". In some cases maybe it is better but you still hear horror stories and just being able to afford something doesn't replace research into different schools on a year by year basis.

Lynn poor and proud of it
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter in UK goes to what maybe to some a "disadvantaged" school, it sits in the middle of a council estate. We live some 5 miles away in cheshire, but have kept Her in this school as she meets a diverse background of children.

The school has an average class size of 24, and therefore with the teacher and class help gets a lot of attention. So much so , that at 8 she is performing to the level of a 10 year old.

IMHO - all schooling values and input depends on the teachers, community and parents - thats what I look for in a good school
angela
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:29 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Angela Marie
My daughter in UK goes to what maybe to some a "disadvantaged" school, it sits in the middle of a council estate. We live some 5 miles away in cheshire, but have kept Her in this school as she meets a diverse background of children.

The school has an average class size of 24, and therefore with the teacher and class help gets a lot of attention. So much so , that at 8 she is performing to the level of a 10 year old.

IMHO - all schooling values and input depends on the teachers, community and parents - thats what I look for in a good school
angela
Well done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.