Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

class differences

class differences

Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

whoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to behold
Default class differences

Has anyone ever noticed how class differences are really noticeable and talked about in England?

I don't mean house, car, neighbourhood wise. I mean, people saying things like 'that person is so common' and ' that person sounds common' or ' she is a sun reader' etc.

I have really noticed that people in London are always boxing people into these catagories. For expample someone just posted his thoughts on Australia 18 months on and he just mentioned having a pool or something and people started to think he was arrogant?! A lot of Australians have pools... it's not a status thing...

I have never really noticed people in Australia putting others into class statuses... everyone is very much the same. Everyone reads the same newspapers and no one really SOUNDS poor/common. They can sound bogan but it doesn't mean they live in crap area or house.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:24 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: class differences

Originally Posted by whoever
Has anyone ever noticed how class differences are really noticeable and talked about in England?

I don't mean house, car, neighbourhood wise. I mean, people saying things like 'that person is so common' and ' that person sounds common' or ' she is a sun reader' etc.

I have really noticed that people in London are always boxing people into these catagories. For expample someone just posted his thoughts on Australia 18 months on and he just mentioned having a pool or something and people started to think he was arrogant?! A lot of Australians have pools... it's not a status thing...

I have never really noticed people in Australia putting others into class statuses... everyone is very much the same. Everyone reads the same newspapers and no one really SOUNDS poor/common. They can sound bogan but it doesn't mean they live in crap area or house.
its the one upmanship that pisses me off
they always have the better model or make of whatever you have and more than eager to let you know about it
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

whoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve`o
its the one upmanship that pisses me off
they always have the better model or make of whatever you have and more than eager to let you know about it
In Oz?

Yea, I guess we do do that a lot.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:40 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whoever
I have never really noticed people in Australia putting others into class statuses... everyone is very much the same.
I would agree.
There are haves and have nots here but it is not a class thing.

Much to do with youth of the country I guess.
Europeans had hundreds of years to develope their kings, queens, dukes, lords, ladies etc. whereas Aus has not had enough time to form the refinements of a class society. Hopefully never will.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix
I would agree.
There are haves and have nots here but it is not a class thing.

Much to do with youth of the country I guess.
Europeans had hundreds of years to develope their kings, queens, dukes, lords, ladies etc. whereas Aus has not had enough time to form the refinements of a class society. Hopefully never will.

Yea I agree Bix. It makes me mad when I hear someone at work go ' oh he sounds so posh' ... I feel like saying ' so what??? ' . Honestly, who cares if someone sounds posh, it doesn't mean anything.

I usually just say ' oh, I don't know what posh sounds like... sorry '.

Because well... I dont.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

That's one thing that really got my goat.
The way people would "talk up" in the presence of a well spoken person.

Life is about communication so as long as the person understands you why bother to put on airs and graces ?

I change the way I speak sometimes but it's not to indulge........purely so the other person doesn't have to spend ages decyphering my Cornish accent.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:59 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Well,Im a posh bird at all accents
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:03 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

I'll talk particularly slowly to you then.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
That's one thing that really got my goat.
The way people would "talk up" in the presence of a well spoken person.

Life is about communication so as long as the person understands you why bother to put on airs and graces ?

I change the way I speak sometimes but it's not to indulge........purely so the other person doesn't have to spend ages decyphering my Cornish accent.

I would love to hear your accent Bix
Having moved around alot with hubby in the army i lost my true northern twang. Yet when we came back to the North East, i thought i still sounded normal. Not according to all the locals i sound posh . God knows how cos i was brought up in a council estate and dont really mix with any socialites
My hubby asked about becoming an officer in the army and was categorically told no simply cos he has a 'diluted northern accent' . When he is mixing with officers he does talk clearer then he would with some one of a lower rank, but that is only because it is expected. The army is most definatly high in the type of class you are
Mandy
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Haha!

yea, at work, if someone needs to speak infront of a large group I notice some change their accent so they sound (what they think is) posh.

It's totally beyond me... to me they put on a voice that doesn't sound posh, but rather it sounds like they're constipated.

Bring on the lovely Northern accents and all the others that are apparently un-desirable. This is what I expected of England, awesome accents that take you back in time. Not some man with a poppycock voice that makes him sound like a mummy's boy!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:07 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

I wonder if I will start saying "me ansome" with an Aussie twang ?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I wonder if I will start saying "me ansome" with an Aussie twang ?

If i ever get up your way i will have to look you up just to hear a cornish guy with an aussie twang
Mandy
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:15 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
If i ever get up your way i will have to look you up just to hear a cornish guy with an aussie twang
Mandy
I may have lost my accent by then

Actually that's unlikely cos da missus and me lads take the piss outta me for the way my accent has regressed since being here.

Around less English folk I say.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:21 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I'll talk particularly slowly to you then.
r...u...t...a...l...k...i...n...g...2...m...e...?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
I may have lost my accent by then

Actually that's unlikely cos da missus and me lads take the piss outta me for the way my accent has regressed since being here.

Around less English folk I say.

HaHa
Ive never been as far south as Cornwall before. But i did mange Torquay as a teenager and loved the way the local talked, kinda sexy to an impressionable 16 year old it was any way.
The only accent i can not understand is the scouse one (sorry scousers)
They talk to fast for me.
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.