Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clarke Quay Singapore - what's it like?

Clarke Quay Singapore - what's it like?

Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clarke Quay Singapore - what's it like?

Last time we stayed at the Shangri-La off Orchard Rd but want to try something different. We had reserved the Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa but for a number of reasons have changed our minds.

Clarke Quay looks fun and more 'happening'. We like the idea of being able to eat out at night but not too far from a hotel as our 17 month old will be with a sitter.

Any recommendations on hotels? 4-5 star and we need a separate bedroom/suite as our little boy is quite a noisy sleeper!

Thanks all
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:25 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarke Quay Singapore - what's it like?

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Last time we stayed at the Shangri-La off Orchard Rd but want to try something different. We had reserved the Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa but for a number of reasons have changed our minds.

Clarke Quay looks fun and more 'happening'. We like the idea of being able to eat out at night but not too far from a hotel as our 17 month old will be with a sitter.

Any recommendations on hotels? 4-5 star and we need a separate bedroom/suite as our little boy is quite a noisy sleeper!

Thanks all
Clark Quay is great - there are some GORGE restaurants on there & bars but is always really busy at night
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

The Merchant Court is pretty good (I stay there every time I am in Singapore for work), its right on the river opposite Clark Quay. Granted its not as poshy-poshy as the Shangri La, but I like it, and I found it more comfortable than the Marriot (although the restarant isnt as good as the Marriot)

Clark Quay has juts had a major facelift, and gone up-market a bit to what it was like previously. One of the riverside dining places (just by the Read Bridge) even has a chinese Mariachi band, and look out for the new tapas bars.

Hooters has moved from its 1st floor location by Read Bridge to a ground floor riverside location, where you can sit outside and get your beer served by the girls in tight T shirts and scimpy shorts!

Sunday is flea market day on Clark Quay, and is well worth a stroll around, just to see some of the weird stuff on offer.

The One Night Stand (by Read Bridge) is a good place to hang out if they have a show on, ($50 to get in, but a really good night)

Boat Quay is also 5 min walk, and there are plenty of expat bars down there

Chinatown is but a 10 minute walk from the hotel, and also Raffles City, Bugis village etc are fairly close.

Just behind Clark Quay is Fort Canning, which is like a green oasis in the big city, a great place to stroll around in and have a quiet moment.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, fantastic advice, thanks so much. Merchant Court had been mentioned to us before, so will investigate.

Hubby has enough of a lady at home in a skimpy top thanks, long live pregnancy and its many 'benefits'
Old Jan 5th 2005, 11:32 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Can't offer any advice, but how about a photo?

http://ptlabs.topcities.com/sg/20040204/119_1987.html

Peter
Old Jan 5th 2005, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Smile Re: Clarke Quay Singapore - what's it like?

sorry that I cant offer advice but we are also planning a stop over in Singapore- we are going to be staying at Raffles the Plaza- does anyone know this hotel and if so- is it near Clarke Quay as it sounds fantastic.

Nat
Old Jan 5th 2005, 12:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natty
sorry that I cant offer advice but we are also planning a stop over in Singapore- we are going to be staying at Raffles the Plaza- does anyone know this hotel and if so- is it near Clarke Quay as it sounds fantastic.

Nat
It's a short (probably £2) taxi ride away. I didn't go in the plaza part, but the original Raffles is fantastic. Clarke Quay is good, drinks are expensive though. Best is to eat at the food market nearby & walk there afterwards for drinks.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 2:46 pm
joveazey

Hi all,

We are hoping to have sold the house and be going to Perth at the end of March. We were also hoping to have a stopover in Singapore. Can anyone tell me how long to stop for (we have a terror child who will be aged 20mths by then). Also, which hotels are near everything and are nice.

Thanks

Jo

x

Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi all,

We are hoping to have sold the house and be going to Perth at the end of March. We were also hoping to have a stopover in Singapore. Can anyone tell me how long to stop for (we have a terror child who will be aged 20mths by then). Also, which hotels are near everything and are nice.

Thanks

Jo

x
Hiya Jo,
How was Christmas?
We stayed at the Shangri-La Orchard Road last time which was great, but Jed was so tiny then we didn't use babysitters or anything. This time we are trying to be a bit more oganised, hence having a seperate bedroom so that if he's asleep at odd times we can still sit in the other room, or have a babysitter come and do the same. I think they cost about S$25 for the first 2 hours then S$10 per hour after that. Not bad.

Four Seasons does lovely Child Pacakges but again I think they are more aimed at those over 2 years. Why don't we club together and start opening decent creche facilities in good hotels around the world? There are so few, and people do still travel with little ones. And probably would more if it was easier.

Anyway, I think we'll go for the Swissotel Merchant Court for its proximity to most things. I found Orchard Road quite pricey, well the main shopping centres. I'm looking for bargains, but apparently it's illegal in Singapore to sell knock-off handbags and shoes

I've heard really good things about Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa, especially as regards children but I feel a bit odd about lying on a beach when so many other people doing the same lost their lives.

You packed then?!!
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=The Jones Family]Last time we stayed at the Shangri-La off Orchard Rd but want to try something different. We had reserved the Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa but for a number of reasons have changed our minds.

May I ask why what put you off the Shangri La Rasa Sentosa as we have just booked there for a few nights on route to Perth? You have got me worried now!! Do you know something I dont??
Kindest regards
Windsurfer uk
Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jones family
My wife and I were in Singapore 21 months ago en-route to Oz for a holiday, we stayed in the New Otani hotel, which is right next to Clarke Quay, 2 minutes walk, and you have loads of restaurants and bars there or just walk up the river a bit over to Boat Quay, more restaurants and bars but less expensive we found. Go up to Raffles for a Singapore Sling, a must!, and over the road to the Chijmes complex for some more excellent restaurants and bars.
We enjoyed our stay at the New Otani and as everywhere in Singapore it was spotless.
Bill n Linz
Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:27 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Trevglas
The Merchant Court is pretty good (I stay there every time I am in Singapore for work), its right on the river opposite Clark Quay.

I have a feeling this was where we stayed as well. It was all that we needed, nice and close for your babysitting needs too
Old Jan 5th 2005, 11:07 pm
rudo1ph

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi all,

Thanks

Jo

x
Besides shopping there isn't a huge amount to see and do in Singapore. Your 20 month old would probably enjoy the zoo and night safari and the bird park out at Jurong. High tea and Singapore Sling at Raffles are good fun for the grown-ups. Coming from the UK spring to Singapore you will find it VERY hot. The humidity takes a while to get used to - especially with a little one in tow. A trip over to Sentosa late in the day is worth it - to see the musical fountains, but the rest of Sentosa is pretty crap - the aquarium takes about 10 minutes to get around and the pink dolphins are a real trek away, even on the monorail. You can climb the Merlion on Sentosa as well, but it's not that exciting! If you come over on the cable cars you will have a great view all around.

Sorry - bit of a disjointed reply - I wrote things as they came into my head. Be warned that if you dan't have a car seat with you you will have to have you baby on your lap in the taxi......and Singapore taxi drivers seem to think they have to tap their foot on the accelerator pedal all the time. MRT and buses are easy to use though.

Can't help with hotels - we lived there so never used the hotels!!! I'm sure other peoples suggestions will be useful though.

Rudi

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=windsurfer uk]

May I ask why what put you off the Shangri La Rasa Sentosa as we have just booked there for a few nights on route to Perth? You have got me worried now!! Do you know something I dont??
Kindest regards
Windsurfer uk
Windsurfer:
Have heard nothing wrong about Rasa Sentosa, on the contrary, everything has been very good. PLus we are Golden Circle Members so get preferential rates. We just feel a bit 'odd' about staying in a 'beach resort' in the Indian Ocean at the moment what with what has happened. Just our personal feelings......
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Windsurfer:
Have heard nothing wrong about Rasa Sentosa, on the contrary, everything has been very good. PLus we are Golden Circle Members so get preferential rates. We just feel a bit 'odd' about staying in a 'beach resort' in the Indian Ocean at the moment what with what has happened. Just our personal feelings......
I can understand your feelings, we booked the hotel before the terrible disaster happened ,liked the look of the hotel ,hate sitting on a beach anyway...now windsurfing..a different matter indeed . My wife wanted to live in Perth to be near her brother, thinks to myself, Perth, 3rd windiest city in the world, go on then I said if you must....

Regards windsurfer uk