Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming UK state pension from Australia

Claiming UK state pension from Australia

Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming UK state pension from Australia

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Also you have to be an Aussie resident for 10yrs before qualifying for a Aus pension - From the fco website

Frozen Pensions

The UK pays about 800,000 pensions overseas. In those countries where no bilateral agreement exists to up-rate pensions, including Australia, they are frozen at the time of immigration: 205,000 UK pensioners live in Australia. Of these, 70% qualify for an Australian age pension, either through residency in Australia, or under the former bilateral social security agreement. In those cases the Australian government pays the difference between the UK frozen rate pension and the Australian age pension. Owing to the high cost of this measure, Australia subsequently abrogated the Bilateral Social Security Agreement in 2001. Existing British pensioners in Australia are not affected; but future British pensioners emigrating to Australia will have to complete the standard 10 years residence before qualifying for an Australian pension. Australian pensioners in the UK will be similarly affected. The abrogation also affects entitlements for those travelling between the two countries to welfare payments such as unemployment and invalidity benefits.

I've got just over 10 years National insurance contributions paid in the UK, "I think" Having Started work in August 1970, and having Left the UK in September 1980. Is it worth while me paying any missing NI Contributions now, (if there are any) and how and who do I contact for this.

I suppose the main question is it worth going through, what looks like a lengthy process, what benefit is there to me, of qualifying for the UK pension after 26 years here in Aussie ?

I've just spent an hour looking through the UK pension site, getting myself totally confused. So hopefully someone can fast track me on this.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've got just over 10 years National insurance contributions paid in the UK, "I think" Having Started work in August 1970, and having Left the UK in September 1980. Is it worth while me paying any missing NI Contributions now, (if there are any) and how and who do I contact for this.

I suppose the main question is it worth going through, what looks like a lengthy process, what benefit is there to me, of qualifying for the UK pension after 26 years here in Aussie ?

I've just spent an hour looking through the UK pension site, getting myself totally confused. So hopefully someone can fast track me on this.

I don't know to much about this, my husband who is in the UK for 4 more weeks knows more. I know we decided not to pay mine up, you need to work out what it will cost you against what you will get when you reach pension age ( if Mr Bair doesn't do away with them by them) Remember that your state pension freezes when you leave the UK so what you would have got in 1980 is what you will finally get. Hope that helps
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

The UK Pensions Service web site
www.thepensionservice.gov.uk
UK Government sites for pension information
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pensioners/index.htm
http://www.pensionguide.gov.uk
The U.K. Department for Work & Pensions (DWP)
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/penret/
OPAS - Office of the Pensions Advisory Service
http://www.opas.org.uk/
(This one deals with pensions other than state pensions)

Try those for starters
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, will bookmark this thread, and come back to it when I've got time.