Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

claiming tax rebate - flight for UK rental work

claiming tax rebate - flight for UK rental work

Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default claiming tax rebate - flight for UK rental work

Hi
I know this has been asked before - and my accountant says I can claim 'that portion which is appropriate to the work' but would love to hear from anyone who has actually done this.
My house is being re-furbished early Dec - and I'd quite like to be there to oversee work. Gardening, painting,redecorating, fixing damage and re-carpeting. Should take a few weeks.
I'd only be flying over for this reason, but of course I would take time to catch up on friends and family -
Any suggestions on how much I can claim?
many thanks
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: claiming tax rebate - flight for UK rental work

You can claim $0 of your international trip, if your accountant says otherwise then you have a bent accountant. If anyone else says that they did it, then I would suggest they are very lucky that they were not selected for audit, the self assessment process means most tax returns are not checked.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:57 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Flight claim?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I am sure I have read of people who have claimed against tax for a flight to inspect their property - Mind you this reads like you can only claim if you fly there, inspect and fly home which isn't very helpful confused:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=3&H3

Last edited by Chortlepuss; Nov 13th 2012 at 1:59 am.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I am sure I have read of people who have claimed against tax for a flight to inspect their property - Mind you this reads like you can only claim if you fly there, inspect and fly home which isn't very helpful confused:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=3&H3
And another page http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=6&H6 says this:

"What overseas travel expenses can you claim?
If you are an Australian resident and own a rental property overseas, you may travel overseas on holiday and inspect your rental property at the same time.
If the main purpose of the trip is a holiday, you cannot claim the cost of getting there - you can only claim local expenses directly related to inspecting the property, such as taxi fares and part of your accommodation expenses.

If we select your travel expense claim for review or audit, you must be able to show your reason for visiting the rental property."

I think that means that claiming overseas travel expenses is effectively asking the ATO to audit you.