Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming Overpaid Tax When Emigrating

Wikiposts

Claiming Overpaid Tax When Emigrating

Old Jul 8th 2003, 2:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yvsie
hi all,

just ask your tax office for a P85 form...Ive just filled mine in. They will either send you a cheque or pay it direct into your bank account.....easy peasy!

Not that easy, I filled mine in in February, my useless last employer doesn't know how much I earned therefore the Tax Man can't give me a rebate. I just hope they sort it out before I have to fill my UK tax return in. Guess who my last employer was?............. Consignia (Royal Mail)
Old Jul 8th 2003, 5:39 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
Not that easy, I filled mine in in February, my useless last employer doesn't know how much I earned therefore the Tax Man can't give me a rebate. I just hope they sort it out before I have to fill my UK tax return in. Guess who my last employer was?............. Consignia (Royal Mail)

Surely you got a P45, they are obliged to give you one, or your last payslip should do with cumulative amount, or a P60
Old Jul 8th 2003, 5:44 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Surely you got a P45, they are obliged to give you one, or your last payslip should do with cumulative amount, or a P60

Yes I have, in fact I have 3, each with a different amount.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 6:01 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
Yes I have, in fact I have 3, each with a different amount.

To get your cash back fast give the IR the lowest salary one first and fill in the boxes on the form (self assessment) about it being provisional. They should in theory refund based on that number and you can get the rest when your employer finally works out what they did pay you.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 6:04 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by jayr
To get your cash back fast give the IR the lowest salary one first and fill in the boxes on the form (self assessment) about it being provisional. They should in theory refund based on that number and you can get the rest when your employer finally works out what they did pay you.
Thanks for the advice but I've already filled the form out. The aggro is between the IR and Consignia. a lot of to'ing and fro'ing.

The money will come in handy when they eventually sort it out.