Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming our tax back (paid too much on arrival)

Claiming our tax back (paid too much on arrival)

Old May 24th 2008, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming our tax back (paid too much on arrival)

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The 18 year old will need to do one, definitely, and if both parents are working they need to do one. Not sure if one doesn't work though

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/

is the link you need.
and furthermore, for others who are reading, if the kid is actually 15 or 16 with a casual job, they still need to lodge their own tax return.

They really are simple, so the kid should be able to do it themself.

There are loads of tax deductions. eg if you are a waitress, you can claim for your tights and also washing your waitressing clothes. If you have two jobs you can claim travel between them.
Old May 24th 2008, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

So as i am not to clued up on all this why do we have to do a tax return if the employer takes the tax of us each week, obviously in the u.k. u just fill a form in to claim any tax back that u have over paid etc.

lisa
Old May 24th 2008, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisas
So as i am not to clued up on all this why do we have to do a tax return if the employer takes the tax of us each week, obviously in the u.k. u just fill a form in to claim any tax back that u have over paid etc.

lisa
I'm not quite sure what your question is.

The legal requirement in Australia to complete and submit a tax return annually puts the citizen/resident in the "driving seat", and in theory at least ensures that they are responsible for their own financial affairs.

As even working children (ie 15/16 year olds etc) are supposed to complete these documents, it teaches people this responsibility from early on, as well as ways of becoming financially astute.

Earned income and paye tax form just one component of many peoples' financial lives. There is interest and dividends earned, people having more than one job, rental income, capital gains/losses, and personal tax deductions for which receipts must be maintained.

A single person with one job, paying income tax on that job, with not a cent earned from elsewhere, may well have loads of tax deductions that can be applied for.... eg telephone line/calls, laundering uniform, self-education expenses etc.

If your question is "why would the government want so much paperwork?", well, I have no idea. But I do know that it has helped people of my age ensure that they have a better understanding of income, taxes, government policies and politics. ie a more engaged resident.

(I'm no longer an Oz resident for tax purposes....that's a different story... the UK tax forms are just as easy....I'll be doing the USA one next year...not sure as to how that will compare...)
Old May 24th 2008, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You asked who claimed for a child in full time education - generally the parent in the highest income bracket will make the claims because it will reduce their taxable income which is possibly at a higher rate than the other parent. With income from interest - if it is in the name of the person with the lowest taxable income, then they should add it to their income because their tax rate on it may be lower.

If this is the first tax return you have had to do in Aus, then you would benefit from having a tax agent do it for you because then you would get the benefit of them knowing what you can claim and what you cant. The amount you pay them is then a deduction in next year's tax return. Once you have the gist of it sorted, it is easy to do from year to year.