Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming the dole in Australia

Claiming the dole in Australia

Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:25 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming the dole in Australia

Just a quick additional note for anyone unfortunate enough to made redundant. There have been additional measures put in place. It is very important that when you attend your JSA provider that you identify yourself as a redundant worker. You will have to provide proof. Below is a summary of the new measures

Early access to services for workers who have lost their jobs

1. Who is eligible for early access to employment services?

All workers who have lost their job because of the economic downturn can get access to personalised employment services through Job Services Australia. Talk to Centrelink about how to access this assistance.

Further information is available at centrelink.gov.au or call 13 28 50.

Centrelink will assess workers eligibility for employment services and make an appointment with a local Job Services Australia provider.

2. How long does this measure last?

The early access program runs for two years until 31 March 2011and covers all workers who have lost their job because of the economic downturn.

3. What are these workers eligible for?

Under the new employment services deed commencing 1 July 2009, workers who have lost their jobs because of the economic downturn will gain immediate access to Stream 2 services. Job seekers will also benefit from a $550 Employment Pathway Fund credit and immediate eligibility for outcome payments.

4. How will this benefit these workers?

All workers who have lost their job because of the economic downturn are eligible for immediate access to tailored employment services.

Job Services Australia providers will help workers develop a tailored Employment Pathway Plan to them find another job as quickly as possible. This could include:
* job search training and job search assistance such as resume preparation and advice about the best ways to look for work including expanding a client’s employment related networks;
* supervised access to resources such as telephones, computers, stationery, vacancy listings;
* a comprehensive skills assessment to determine what work or educational skills and experience they currently possess;
* skills development training relevant to the local labour market needs;
* referral to education or training to possibly improve literacy under programmes such as the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Program or Adult Migrant English Program;
* purchase of vocational and non-vocational assistance using the Employment Pathway Fund (EPF) which could include various items from safety boots; heavy vehicle licences; computer courses; wage assistance; and relocation assistance etc.

Job Services Australia providers will meet with job seekers regularly to review their Employment Pathway Plan. They will also have access to an Employment Pathway Fund, which can be used for employment subsidies, equipment and training.

Last edited by HUP; Mar 31st 2010 at 3:41 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Just out of interest...... I visited the `Dole Office` last year when I became a citizen to see if I was entitled to anything such as job seekers allowance etc.... Not entitled to a cent, which is fair enough but having read some of these threads I was just wondering if I would be entitled to do any kind of a course at the local TAFE at a reduced rate. Anyone know?
Angela
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
Just out of interest...... I visited the `Dole Office` last year when I became a citizen to see if I was entitled to anything such as job seekers allowance etc.... Not entitled to a cent, which is fair enough but having read some of these threads I was just wondering if I would be entitled to do any kind of a course at the local TAFE at a reduced rate. Anyone know?
Angela
If you had been entitled you would have been entitled to a free TAFE course and transport costs to attend.