Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming back tax when leaving UK

Claiming back tax when leaving UK

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of
Default Claiming back tax when leaving UK

Hi Folks

I am leaving the UK in August and have been working and paying tax for 22 years. I'm assuming I will be due a tax rebate for the 4 months I've worked since 5 April 2012 and will complete form P85 and send it off with my P45. Will I have to wait until the financial year end for any refund? I could do with the cash ASAP

Cheers
Mairi
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Claiming back tax when leaving UK

You will not have to wait till year end, but I seem to recall it did take 2-3 months to actually get the refund.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
You will not have to wait till year end, but I seem to recall it did take 2-3 months to actually get the refund.
That's good to know! Thanks for the info
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Hi Folks

I am leaving the UK in August and have been working and paying tax for 22 years. I'm assuming I will be due a tax rebate for the 4 months I've worked since 5 April 2012 and will complete form P85 and send it off with my P45. Will I have to wait until the financial year end for any refund? I could do with the cash ASAP

Cheers
Mairi
Am very interested in this too. My wife and I are leaving in September and it had not occurred to us that we might get some tax back. Even if it takes a little time,we shall be getting our P85 forms!

Cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Am very interested in this too. My wife and I are leaving in September and it had not occurred to us that we might get some tax back. Even if it takes a little time,we shall be getting our P85 forms!

Cheers
Yep should be a handy wee sum of money even if we do have to wait a few months for it
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Hi Folks

Cheers
Mairi
You can do either. I waited until the end of the tax year as we had UK rental income coming in.