Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil/structural CAD drafters

Civil/structural CAD drafters

Old Aug 11th 2003, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Civil/structural CAD drafters

Anyone already in OZ that does this job?

Can you advise me of rates/salaries/best locations for work.

I have some 15 years experience (last 11 agency staff) in all types of Civil eng. work inc. retail, housing, roads, rail, petro-chem (currently at Shell, been here 2 1/2 years).

Looking to go to either Brisbane or Perth - prefer Brisbane to live but believe may be more work in Perth (gas and oil)
What are the chances of getting work in Gas / mining fields if only experience is of Oil Refinery work?

Thanks.

Andy.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:13 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Civil/structural CAD drafters

Originally posted by cadman

I have some 15 years experience (last 11 agency staff) in all types of Civil eng. work inc. retail, housing, roads, rail, petro-chem (currently at Shell, been here 2 1/2 years).

Looking to go to either Brisbane or Perth - prefer Brisbane to live but believe may be more work in Perth (gas and oil)
What are the chances of getting work in Gas / mining fields if only experience is of Oil Refinery work?

Thanks.

Andy.
Check out:

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/

for jobs - did so the other day and there seem to be quite a few civil/structural drafting positions. I'm a mechanical/electronic CAD engineer looking for similar in the Brisbane area. No mention of salaries though.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I believe salaries are between 40 and 60k $AUS for civ/struc cad drafters
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:13 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Andy.
Give this mob a try WWW.SANTOS.COM.AU ................ mm
Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Andy.
My brother Mat works in this line of work. I emailed him your question and he got back with this. Hope it's of some use.

My guess is that there would be a bit of work at both locations. I would
suspect that if he is prepared to get out of the cities there could be quite
a lot of work at pretty good pay. In town wages for 15 years experience
would range from 70 to 100k or better depending on your ability and
management experience.

At a mine the pay is extremely good, with living expenses paid for etc
Old Aug 12th 2003, 8:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MeganEkno
My brother Mat works in this line of work. I emailed him your question and he got back with this. Hope it's of some use.

management experience.

I am an Electrical CAD Designer in the high voltage/power & railway industries, any ideas on rates & availablility of work. When I lived in Sydney in 1995 I was on $25/hour which I thought was pretty good (I was living pretty well on it).
Old Aug 12th 2003, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MeganEkno
management experience.

Thanks Megan, just the sort of info I need.

Sounds good to me! Just a few more Q's

What sort of CAD work is your brother in? is it mining/gas or "normal" work such as office blocks etc.?
When he says "prepared to get out of the cities" and "work in town" does he mean working away from home/on site ?

To be honest, I don't want to live in a city but presumed that we would have to in order to find work. I did suspect that it may be like here in that I have had plenty of work for years but have never had work in a city centre such as Manchester, I've always managed to find work at firms on edge of towns etc.
The problem of course is that I don't know how big places in OZ are apart from the big cities.
We are hoping to live ideally on the edge of a small town/city but the quieter the location the better for me, providing I can get a job nearby.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Have emailed Mat with queries and will see what he comes up with.

Thanks.

Megan
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Megan. I owe you a
Old Aug 12th 2003, 11:50 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hey mr Cadman,

I've just done a C&G advanced level 3d course, hoping that i might be able to use it at some point....Im a geologist, and have done a bit of geo engineering. Was thinking about getting into mine resourse/stucture work when i get to oz...

How did you get into drafting just out of interest?

Pete.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I actually got into this game by accident!

I had done a Business Studies course after school, then got a temp job as a clerk at a Civ Eng firm who then asked if I wanted to be a draffie (on a board).

Then had to do 4 years of Day Release (ONC & HNC), made redundant, so went on a CAD course cos I couldn't find work, then went "agency" which happened to be my 1st CAD job.

Generally the CAD work is easy enough to pick up, it's the technical knowledge of structures and building practices that you go to college for.

Best thing is if you can get some CAD work while working as Geologist if possible, to become proficient on the CAD.

Just going on a night class is nothing like using it day in day out.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

barbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cadman,

I was wondering if you could help me, my partner and I are thinking of migrating. We have looked into this extensively and are only chance seems to be skilled migration my partner needs to be assessed as engineering assoicate by IEaust, he needs to do CDR, he seems to meet all the criteria laid out in the guidelines, and has over 12 years experience, however one problems is his achademic qualifications, he has a cert rather than the required Diploma, however we are hoping that he still should pass the assessment, do you have any ideas on this??

Thanks
Barbs
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:19 am
Just Joined

m_gargari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CDR mechanical engineer

Has anyone out there completed the CDR for the Institution of Engineers(Mechanical),Australia?
I've downloaded all the forms and background information from their
website, but would be interested in any advice from someone who has already been though the process.
I would be happy If I could received a Mechanical Engineering CDR Sample.
If any Person has it please send it to my
Email: [email protected]

Thank you for your Help
Mehdi