Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineering Job Market in Australia

Civil Engineering Job Market in Australia

Old Dec 19th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Engineering Job Market in Australia

Originally Posted by ab a
From what I'm reading the job prospect isn't looking good! I was thinking to myself at worst I could always go to Perth, it's expensive to live there but more likely to find engineering jobs. I take it I was wrong there as well. Things are picking up in the UK especially infrastructure and gradually building industry.

What would be a piece of advice you'd give a junior engineer thinking about immigrating? Wait a bit longer and get some more experience? Are there any jobs or industries that are doing well at the moment in Australia?

Thanks
The West Australian - the local Perth newspaper reports that insolvency practisioners are booming.

The advice I would give a junior proffessional at the moment would be to stay put and get some more experience.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

its bleak in resources.. the perfect storm of the end of CAPEX and then a massive downturn in resource prices

one more roll of the dice for me.. Abbott Point and the carmichael mine.. about 10,000 workers needed..
so me and everyone else targetting that

If nothing else.. back to consultancy and anywhere on the planet..
its been fun.. but OZ is an expensive place to live, without a good job
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

ab a is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the insight. I will have to think hard before making a decision.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I'm a civil QS. The big rail job I was on stopped so I was moved to a mine. Mining for me is boring. There are some civils jobs but I think you would struggle being a junior and not having Australian experience. I have a friend who keeps picking up 3 month fixed term contracts but nothing permanent. He has just relocated to Sydney from Brisbane for a 3 month contract, which has now ended and he has been out of work since early December.

In short - it would be risky to come out at the moment, I am getting emails from recruiters in the UK a couple of times a week now, that hasn't happened for a couple of years so that suggests to me that everything has picked up again in the UK. So much so that I am considering coming back.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I'm a civil QS. The big rail job I was on stopped so I was moved to a mine. Mining for me is boring. There are some civils jobs but I think you would struggle being a junior and not having Australian experience. I have a friend who keeps picking up 3 month fixed term contracts but nothing permanent. He has just relocated to Sydney from Brisbane for a 3 month contract, which has now ended and he has been out of work since early December.

In short - it would be risky to come out at the moment, I am getting emails from recruiters in the UK a couple of times a week now, that hasn't happened for a couple of years so that suggests to me that everything has picked up again in the UK. So much so that I am considering coming back.
Well the rail market in the UK is obviously bigger and with Crossrail and HS2 on the go there should be more work. In Oz Sydney would be your best bet for rail at the moment. Depends where you want to be. Up to you.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well the rail market in the UK is obviously bigger and with Crossrail and HS2 on the go there should be more work. In Oz Sydney would be your best bet for rail at the moment. Depends where you want to be. Up to you.
I am aware of the HS2 and yes that's probably why there is plenty of work in the UK. As for Sydney, you are also probably right for rail work. I am not going to risk moving my family though from a stable income related to the mine to possibly be batting for temporary work like my friend is.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I am aware of the HS2 and yes that's probably why there is plenty of work in the UK. As for Sydney, you are also probably right for rail work. I am not going to risk moving my family though from a stable income related to the mine to possibly be batting for temporary work like my friend is.
Yes. Secure job first then move.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Aberdarejon is an unknown quantity at this point

Any one have any idea how much digger operators are getting in oz at the moment? I'm guessing a wage difference between Melbourne and Perth, earning more in the latter?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aberdarejon
Any one have any idea how much digger operators are getting in oz at the moment? I'm guessing a wage difference between Melbourne and Perth, earning more in the latter?
$45.64 per hour
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm contracting on Crossrail now and earning the same in pounds as I earned in dollars in Brisbane 2 years ago, albeit that was permanent.

There are nowhere near enough staff in the UK to do all the rail work, half of the staff in the industry are useless as well and there is no surge of track engineers on the horizon. Crossrail, Crossrail 2, HS2 all still to come.

Fill yer boots.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I'm contracting on Crossrail now and earning the same in pounds as I earned in dollars in Brisbane 2 years ago, albeit that was permanent.

There are nowhere near enough staff in the UK to do all the rail work, half of the staff in the industry are useless as well and there is no surge of track engineers on the horizon. Crossrail, Crossrail 2, HS2 all still to come.

Fill yer boots.
Sounds good. High demand little supply.

I did some consultancy work on Crossrail about 6 years ago. In the middle of the downturn - no such joy on the cashola in the downturn.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

There will always be work on the railway, I'm even considering HS2 myself, FIFO from Aus haha. Not a dirt digger though, I'm a fitter. Keep your nose clean and stay abreast of industry changes, and away you go. 30+ years on the Railway for me now, by rights I should die about 3 days after I retire.