Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineering

Civil Engineering

Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Smoggystu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil Engineering

I am looking to move over to oz in the next couple of months with my girlfriend. I have a holiday visa already and I'm now looking for work in the civil engineering industry. Currently have 5 years experience as a site engineer and I'm looking for the same time of role once I'm in oz.

If anyone has any contacts or know of any companies who are needing engineers and are willing to take on uk migrasnts please point me in the right direction. I really am willing to try anywhere in oz a go but have a slight preference towards Perth but only because I already have family there.

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Engineering

Originally Posted by Smoggystu
I am looking to move over to oz in the next couple of months with my girlfriend. I have a holiday visa already and I'm now looking for work in the civil engineering industry. Currently have 5 years experience as a site engineer and I'm looking for the same time of role once I'm in oz.

If anyone has any contacts or know of any companies who are needing engineers and are willing to take on uk migrasnts please point me in the right direction. I really am willing to try anywhere in oz a go but have a slight preference towards Perth but only because I already have family there.

Thanks
which field of civil engineering?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

I work for balfour beatty at the moment and we take on all sorts of work. Most of my experience to date has been in highway works and concrete structures i.e. bridges and large foundation works
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:24 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean you have a Working Holiday Visa? If so, please be aware that you can only be employed by each individual company for a maximum of 6 months.

This can put off some employers as they want longer term workers.

Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tking
Do you mean you have a Working Holiday Visa? If so, please be aware that you can only be employed by each individual company for a maximum of 6 months.

This can put off some employers as they want longer term workers.

Good luck.
Yes this is the visa I have. I'm only using this visa as a stepping stone to get me in the country and working quickly. I'm planning on staying permanently and applying for a permanent skilled working visa once I'm working.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't rule out Railway either, Balfours were even starting to make headway into the Australian market, Mowlems were already here and are now Laing O'Rourkes. The railway is ploughing loads of cash into upgrades and new lines, so well worth a look if you're interested. Most of the big guns will freely offer sponsorship deals too.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:39 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful to ensure you apply whilst you still have recent and relevent work experience (12 months in the last 24 months I think). If you end up not finding relevent or 'skilled' enough work on the WHV you could possibly not meet the recent skilled work experience requirement.

However, if you're planning on applying for PR pretty much immediately you should be fine.

Also, PR (independent 175) are taking more than 12 months on average at the moment - which means your WHV would be expired and you'd have to leave. So maybe consider a State Sponsored 176 (if you can find a state that sponsors for your occupation - quicker processing) or maybe a temp 457 if you can find an employer who will sponsor you. The 457 would 'tide you over' until your 175 nears grant.

Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smoggystu
Yes this is the visa I have. I'm only using this visa as a stepping stone to get me in the country and working quickly. I'm planning on staying permanently and applying for a permanent skilled working visa once I'm working.
A mate of mine whent from WHV, to 457, to PR, so it can be done. It will take a long time though.