Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineering

Civil Engineering

Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about
Post Civil Engineering

Hi All,

We are hoping to start our migration early next year; I am currently in my first year of my HNC in Civil Engineering.

I have two questions really,

Does anyone know if I could transfer this to Australia, if we are successful in our migration I may have passed the first year and I was wondering if I would be able to join the equivalent course in oz or would I have to start again.

Does anyone know any good recruitment agencies for Civil Engineering in the Sydney, Melbourne areas?

Many Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Civil Engineering

Originally Posted by Gethy
Hi All,

We are hoping to start our migration early next year; I am currently in my first year of my HNC in Civil Engineering.

Does anyone know if I could transfer this to Australia, if we are successful in our migration I may have passed the first year and I was wondering if I would be able to join the equivalent course in oz or would I have to start again.

Does anyone know any good recruitment agencies for Civil Engineering in the Sydney, Melbourne areas?

Many Thanks

Most Universities and Tafes in Oz run Civil Eng courses from 1 year diploma up post grad. Dont know wether you could continue on after 1 year HNC or have to start from scratch.
Your best bet is to contact them via email and ask about it . A google.com.au search will give you all the colleges.

Plenty of recruitment agencies in Sydney and Melbourne deal with this industry.

One I have used is

www.hays.com.au

Muzza
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Most Universities and Tafes in Oz run Civil Eng courses from 1 year diploma up post grad. Dont know wether you could continue on after 1 year HNC or have to start from scratch.
Your best bet is to contact them via email and ask about it . A google.com.au search will give you all the colleges.

Plenty of recruitment agencies in Sydney and Melbourne deal with this industry.

One I have used is

www.hays.com.au

Muzza
Thanks for that, will get straight onto them.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:54 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hello
I looked into doing this with my degree, i found out you can transfer if you get your uni to write a letter for your credits already achieved, but you will be charged international student rates fees, which are double that if you were a citizan, and you cannot get any help from the Governement student loans etc.....untill you are aa oz citizan.

Because of this I am finishing my degree here first before going to oz.

good luck
laura
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

No worries.

IMO, it would be advantageous to finish studies here so as have an australian qualification.
EDIT. May cost an arm and a leg if you dont have PR and are coming out on student visa.

Plenty of civ eng opportunities here in WA too, so worth doing some research in this region. It tends not to fluctuate as much as the eastern states does. This is due to the huge oil, gas and mining industry. Isolation from the world has advantages afterall!

Across the whole of oz, the industry is fairly buoyant at the moment.

Which area of civils are you looking to go into....contracting or design office?

Muzza

Last edited by Muzza04; Sep 29th 2004 at 2:01 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Which area of civils are you looking to go into....contracting or design office?

Muzza[/QUOTE]

I currently work for local government and i prefer site work, but i will be looking to move into a design role as i have a bit more experience in that area.

Do you know whether Australia has an equivilent to Chapter 8 or RASWA?

This is the area i am currently working in ATM.

Cheers
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hello
I looked into doing this with my degree, i found out you can transfer if you get your uni to write a letter for your credits already achieved, but you will be charged international student rates fees, which are double that if you were a citizan, and you cannot get any help from the Governement student loans etc.....untill you are aa oz citizan.

Because of this I am finishing my degree here first before going to oz.

good luck
laura
Are you *sure* about that? (a reference to an official source would help) - PRs pay domestic fees but don't have full access to discounts and loans the way Australian citizens do.

However your second point is correct - often it's difficult to transfer on a uni course mid-stream and get full credit - usually is a better option to get the full UK qualification (whatever it is) and then switch to the Australian system. Getting decent credit for a full qualification is usually easier than for a partial one.

Jeremy
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

One of your options might be to validate your visa and then make the move proper when you have got to a convenient stage of your course. It's often easier to get decent credit for a completed course rather than a partial one. You'll have to research the details.

Useful websites include:
http://www.ieaust.org.au
http://www.detya.gov.au/noosr

Jeremy