Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

City to surf results

City to surf results

Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default City to surf results

Anyone notice a discrepancy between the time on their watches/stopwatches and the time listed in today's West Australian?

There are a few disgruntled runners here at UWA today.

My "claimed" (re actual) time was 56:30 ish. in the West it's listed as 57:31

I reckon it's a stich up!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: City to surf results

Just out of interest, how do they calculate everyone's times. Do you have a chip thing in a vest or something? Having never run anywhere, don't know this stuff
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just out of interest, how do they calculate everyone's times. Do you have a chip thing in a vest or something? Having never run anywhere, don't know this stuff
They give you a little plastic thing to tie to your shoe.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
They give you a little plastic thing to tie to your shoe.
I guess if everyone's time is out by the same sort of amount, then their clocks are not right, if they are all different amounts then something strange going on
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone notice a discrepancy between the time on their watches/stopwatches and the time listed in today's West Australian?

it's not the time between the gun going off and you crossing the start line is it? did you start your watch when the gun went off?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:39 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
it's not the time between the gun going off and you crossing the start line is it? did you start your watch when the gun went off?
Yes, I've just been to the City to Surf web site and the results page has been updated this morning. Talking about "gun" times and "net" times.

I believe the times printed in the West are "gun" times i.e. the time between the gun going off and you crossing the finish line.

Tomorrow we also get the "net" times i.e. the time between your foot crossing the start line and the finish line.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Tie the tag to the front of your shoe, not the back.

Especially if you have feet like canoes.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:45 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Tie the tag to the front of your shoe, not the back.

Especially if you have feet like canoes.
Even better, tie your tag to the shoe of a skinny Kenyan with an "A" number on his chest.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:10 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

thats not the half of it...My 13 year old has done the 4 km run for 6 years and has paid for a timer each year so as she knows whether she has improved or not...This year they printed the times for the first 20 in the 4 k run, what a rip off...we pay for a timer and get nothing...She would have done the run forever, but never again...I had to wait in a stupid line for an hour to get something they could have posted to us in May when we paid..I have sent two complaints to them as she raises the money to pay for the timer herself and at no point were we told that we would also need a crystal ball to find out her time......Boy am I annoyed.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:14 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by cedar cottage
thats not the half of it...My 13 year old has done the 4 km run for 6 years and has paid for a timer each year so as she knows whether she has improved or not...This year they printed the times for the first 20 in the 4 k run, what a rip off...we pay for a timer and get nothing...She would have done the run forever, but never again...I had to wait in a stupid line for an hour to get something they could have posted to us in May when we paid..I have sent two complaints to them as she raises the money to pay for the timer herself and at no point were we told that we would also need a crystal ball to find out her time......Boy am I annoyed.
Chill... I bet her time will be on the web site tomorrow.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:29 am

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Chill... I bet her time will be on the web site tomorrow.
yeah, it isn't quite the same, she has her medal, chest number and city to surf lift-out from the last 6 years tucked away somewhere really special to her in that place she calls a bedroom, how she finds them to bring out to look at every year I have no idea,and when she gets home today she will act the same as she does every other year and bounce up and down asking for the lift-out to see where she came and to have her name in the paper to show her friends, now we have to download and printout on the net....I will give you our address and you can break the news to her as I dont want to be here for the hormonal 13 year olds tantrum.....Suzette.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:31 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by cedar cottage
yeah, it isn't quite the same, she has her medal, chest number and city to surf lift-out from the last 6 years tucked away somewhere really special to her in that place she calls a bedroom, how she finds them to bring out to look at every year I have no idea,and when she gets home today she will act the same as she does every other year and bounce up and down asking for the lift-out to see where she came and to have her name in the paper to show her friends, now we have to download and printout on the net....I will give you our address and you can break the news to her as I dont want to be here for the hormonal 13 year olds tantrum.....Suzette.
Is this something you feel strongly about?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:39 am

no, not really, I can think of a thousand things I would rather be doing on a Sunday morning that weaving my way around blocked streets, running almost as far as she does just to get her to the start line then running back to the car, into the traffic jam to get to the finish line in time to see her finish, nearly impossible by the way,then back to the car which is about 4kms away, I think staying in bed would be my preferred option, but she loves it so I do it...
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:42 am

I know what you are going to say, Why dont you run it with her....I would if I didnt have a really bad back injury from a car accident a long time ago, it is bad enough just doing the rally driving and run/walk to get her to the start.....