Reload this Page >

City Or Suburb ? - First house rental

City Or Suburb ? - First house rental

Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default City Or Suburb ? - First house rental

Hi All

What would you recommend on arrival in Perth , city accomodation ( to see and get a feel for the city) or a chosen suburb near to the city or anywhere in Perth ? hmmmm dilema

Thanks

Dave
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Smile Re: City Or Suburb ? - First house rental

I would go western suburbs- Subiaco or Shenton Park. Close to the city, Kings Park, River and beach and a short walk to the nearest coffee shop. This would suit families/ singles/ couples
IMHO
Ali

Originally Posted by mindblower
Hi All

What would you recommend on arrival in Perth , city accomodation ( to see and get a feel for the city) or a chosen suburb near to the city or anywhere in Perth ? hmmmm dilema

Thanks

Dave
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: City Or Suburb ? - First house rental

Hi All

Thanks

Dave
Why don't you look at some of the temporary rental accommodation available in the city, rather than rushing into anything. If you go into this for a couple of weeks you can get a better feel for the city / suburbs and make a more informed choice.

I don't know the sites (I am from Melbourne) but there have been a number of posts recently about temp accommodation in Perth.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:39 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if you've got kids, but if not have you thought about staying in a hostel for a week or so? We're going to book into a nice hotel for the first 3 / 4 nights then probably either a hostel or caravan park or something until we know what we're doing.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

AngnPaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Thanks

Dave

We stayed in Fremantle when we first arrived. Furnished rented. Quite pricey but nice and convenient for what we wanted.
Have you any kids or jobs sorted yet. Both of those issues will have a huge bearing. Also will you have your own transport?
Subiaco is a lovely suburb and in a great position - I wouldn't think it would be ideal for families though?
Good luck

Angie
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AngnPaul
We stayed in Fremantle when we first arrived. Furnished rented. Quite pricey but nice and convenient for what we wanted.
Have you any kids or jobs sorted yet. Both of those issues will have a huge bearing. Also will you have your own transport?
Subiaco is a lovely suburb and in a great position - I wouldn't think it would be ideal for families though?
Good luck

Angie

I would have a 4 1/2 yr old to consider for temp accommodation guys n galls
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

I stand by Shenton Park- close to Subi for shops and cafes, plenty of parks, a lake (yes its full) . WE picked up a temp place there and loved it- except for the Bindii on the lawn. I didn't know my daughter could scream so loud.

WE stayed in the Mounts Bay Apartments- courtesy of my husbands work. I found them rather depressing. WE had an apartment right next to the Kwinana Freeway. It was hard to enjoy the River views. Pretty pricey to if you're paying yourself.

Good luck
ALi

I would have a 4 1/2 yr old to consider for temp accommodation guys n galls
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:42 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

For your first 2-4 weeks it really doesnt matter which area you stay in, you will need a hire car wherever you are and nowhere is that far from anywhere. The only exception would be if you already have a preference on which area you want to settle in, if you don't then you really have to explore the whole place.

Yes the city is nice to see, but once you live here it's a place you rarely visit and as you will spend most of your first few weeks looking at places to live, it can be handy to actually experience suburban life. The more important decision is where to rent your long term rental (if you are going to rent) many people end up buying a home in the area they rent in, so even if you say "well it's only for 6 months" there is a good chance you will stay on in that same suburb, so it's handy to make sure that the suburb you rent in is in your price bracket to buy too.

But in answer to your question on initial accom, find something that suits your pocket and is suitable for your family and go with it.

Good luck
Lynn
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:50 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

We arrived a few months ago and were put up in a furnished apartment in Nedlands. I really appreciated the fact that we were fairly central, and, although we did spend a lot of time in the hire car looking at suburbs etc etc I felt that we got a real feel for Perth, and there was a lot more going on. We have a 4 and 1 year old and found it easy to eat out with them where there was a large choice of places to eat.

I think I would have felt a bit out of it all if we'd got the short term accommodation in a suburb further away from the central areas. You don't need to be in down town Perth! But I got a good feel for where things are.

I expect, as always, its a matter of opinion, and if its only short term, probably won't matter.

Good luck.