Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHICH CITY TO MOVE TO ?

WHICH CITY TO MOVE TO ?

Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

dave_pious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHICH CITY TO MOVE TO ?

This has been discussed many times on the internet, so feel free to groan. Yet I would be very grateful for your opinions.

We will move to Aus in a few months. I don’t know anyone there, or much about the country (apart from internet & TV programs). I decided to move for my sons, after witnessing a knife-fight by older students outside their school (scary)!! The ‘pull of Aus’ (blue skies, beaches, booming economy, low population) finally outweighed the ‘net pull’ of UK (culture, comedy, friends & family …. less weather, crime, overcrowding & trains that don’t work !!)

Please inform me, given my circumstances, where, in your opinion, I should move to.

I am 39, married, with two small sons, an accountant (past life bad karma), and shall be moving with circa GBP 450k and no job secured.

What I am looking for in a city, in order of priority :

1 Good education for kids (6 year old, 8 year old)
2. Good job prospects (salary AUD 75k + will do)
3. Reasonable variety of entertainment (cinemas, clubs, some operas & museums)
4. Friendly people (my wife is of mixed race)
5. Reasonable distance to beaches
6. Reasonable price of houses
7. Good climate
8. Manageable distance to work (30-40 min. drive max.)

Sydney, from astronomical property prices and my meagre funds (with horrible exchange rate) is out.

Melbourne ticks most boxes, yet attacks on foreign students (my wife is dark skinned) & high property prices dissuaded us.

We then thought about Brisbane, before reading on the internet that there was a slightly higher level of intolerance there.

Adelaide would be fantastic from property prices, but job prospects are lower.

We are honing in on Perth, though open on the above cities as well (as our knowledge of them is cursory), and would thus be very grateful for your comments.

I do realise that :-
(a) no place will tick all boxes 100%,
(b) the internet tends to steretype … for e.g as a mixed couple, we can be called names as easily in Sydney, Perth, London or Goa for that matter, as Brisbane.
(c) we are likely to rent fiorst to check a place out.

Even so, if I know the recognised ups & downs of a place, I am likely to reach a more informed and optimal decision. For e.g, even if I rent before buying, there is no point wasting three months time and rent in a city where I wouldn't have gone to if I knew property prices were 15 times my salary !!

Eagerly looking forward to your views.