British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Which City is more popular to live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/city-more-popular-live-339727/)

Keely Nov 27th 2005 11:39 am

Which City is more popular to live?

I'm curious which cities people are more likely to emigrate to and the reasons why.

Also, how does living in Australia compare to the UK. Are you glad you made the move? :)

wmoore Nov 27th 2005 11:44 am

Re: Which City is more popular to live?

Originally Posted by Keely
I'm curious which cities people are more likely to emigrate to and the reasons why.

Also, how does living in Australia compare to the UK. Are you glad you made the move? :)

We chose Brisbane because it's big enough to have everything you need but not too big that it feels crowded. There's loads of open space and the people are friendly. Oh yes, and it has 20C winters :)

We've been here 3 months and much of our lives are the same - we go to work, we do our housework, we go shopping ..... but when the weekends come around, we can head up the coast, down the coast, see some beautiful scenery, big fibre-glass objects (the big pineapple, the big macadamia nut, the big avacado, ..... :D) and lots of other goodies within driving distance.

soapy© Nov 27th 2005 12:16 pm

im sure ABC will come up with the facs soon. we picked sydney because that is where the work was. brill city, but its a huge city :rolleyes:

Sandra Nov 27th 2005 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by soapy
im sure ABC will come up with the facs soon. we picked sydney because that is where the work was. brill city, but its a huge city :rolleyes:

The most popular city for immigrants is Sydney.

Immigrants does not just mean British! The work and opportunity are in Sydney.

2nd to that is Melbourne.........and of course everybody will argue different cause this is a British Expat site. Check out facts not fiction.

Well paying jobs vs lifestyle is where the majority of migrating people go for.....lifestyle for most is a well paying job!

mand8002 Nov 27th 2005 8:40 pm

We chose Brisbane but mainly because that is where I had been offered a place at uni. Also the climate appealed, and I have to agree with the comment that it is not too big and that there is plenty to see and do on a weekend.

brisnick Nov 27th 2005 9:23 pm

i thought stats had brisbane down as the place with the greatest migration at the moment (though that may include interstate migrants).

Originally Posted by Sandra
The most popular city for immigrants is Sydney.

Immigrants does not just mean British! The work and opportunity are in Sydney.

2nd to that is Melbourne.........and of course everybody will argue different cause this is a British Expat site. Check out facts not fiction.

Well paying jobs vs lifestyle is where the majority of migrating people go for.....lifestyle for most is a well paying job!

lian and jon Nov 27th 2005 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by mand8002
We chose Brisbane but mainly because that is where I had been offered a place at uni. Also the climate appealed, and I have to agree with the comment that it is not too big and that there is plenty to see and do on a weekend.

Hi,

Visited for 5 weeks in January and visited Perth>Sydney>Melbourne>Adelaide>Perth.
Have to say, having seen them all, its Perth for us.

Jon

Des Nov 27th 2005 10:27 pm

hey
we chose melbourne its cheaper than sydney very cosmopolitan and as one of the surveys call it "the worlds most liveable city 03,04 and 2nd in 05 to a canadian city" according to the econimist intelligence unit.

Auspom Nov 28th 2005 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Des
hey
we chose melbourne its cheaper than sydney very cosmopolitan and as one of the surveys call it "the worlds most liveable city 03,04 and 2nd in 05 to a canadian city" according to the econimist intelligence unit.

u chose right people well done, have been trying to tell people that sydney is like london and that melbourne has been the top citie to live in.
karma sent

Auspom Nov 28th 2005 5:10 pm

Melbourne is the place to go,World most livable city 03,04 and 2nd in 05 just goes to show there is lots of things going.
Nite life is great,if u like all sports it's the place to be.Weather is top notch,multi cultural plenty of brits,in a nut shell What ever u like Melb has it.
The Great Ocean Road,Wilson prom,Snow Fields,Gold towns,Mornington Peninsula need i say more.

Best thing is to try renting a house in each state see how u go, but i will bet u will come running back to Melb..

It's not up to me to say cause "it's try before you buy" is the only way cause everyone has different taste and thoughts on how Aus is.all the words in the world can not make me tell u, only your heart and gut feelings can. :)

macker Nov 28th 2005 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore
We chose Brisbane because it's big enough to have everything you need but not too big that it feels crowded. There's loads of open space and the people are friendly. Oh yes, and it has 20C winters :)

We've been here 3 months and much of our lives are the same - we go to work, we do our housework, we go shopping ..... but when the weekends come around, we can head up the coast, down the coast, see some beautiful scenery, big fibre-glass objects (the big pineapple, the big macadamia nut, the big avacado, ..... :D) and lots of other goodies within driving distance.

Hi,

First time I have posted. I am in the process of applying for a visa and am now researching what area We will move to. Brisbane looks great and I am very interested in finding out as much as I can about it.

What areas would you recommend for a family with 2 kids( 8yrs and 2 years), near to the beach but not very expensive for buying property. Good schools etc etc. :D There are so many suburbs, I am totally confused. Can you set me on the right track please? :D

Grayling Nov 28th 2005 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by macker
What areas would you recommend for a family with 2 kids( 8yrs and 2 years), near to the beach but not very expensive for buying property

Such places do not exist in Brisbane. Or any other Australian city for that matter.

It depends what you mean by not expensive (or how near the beach).

G

ABCDiamond Nov 28th 2005 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by macker
What areas would you recommend for a family with 2 kids( 8yrs and 2 years), near to the beach but not very expensive for buying property. Good schools etc etc. There are so many suburbs, I am totally confused. Can you set me on the right track please?

Right here where I live ........... (36km SE of Brisbane, 1 hr travel time)

Houses upwards from $300k and Townhouses from $200k, just 2 minutes from a good kids friendly beach http://www.britzinoz.com/photo/victo...sons_beach.JPG,
or 10 minutes from this http://www.britzinoz.com/photo/cooch...ochiebeach.jpg at Coochiemudlo

Great private schools up to about $7k per year. We pay $3k per year for our 9 year old.

And only 1 hour from the Gold Coast if you like that ;)

Now to go and see what Soapy mentioned about Stats !! :D

diddy Nov 29th 2005 12:05 am

C'mon ABC, tell the truth about the beach.

jad n rich Nov 29th 2005 12:53 am

Originally Posted by diddy
C'mon ABC, tell the truth about the beach.

The colours very realistic :D had to put my sunnies on :D