Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

City & Guilds/NVQ Painting & Decorating

City & Guilds/NVQ Painting & Decorating

Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

JAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant future
Default City & Guilds/NVQ Painting & Decorating

Would it be benefitial to obtain these qualifications here before going to secure jobs in oz?
Husband has 20 + years experience but no C & G .
Would it be worth going back to college to obtain them ?
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice
Default Re: City & Guilds/NVQ Painting & Decorating

Originally Posted by JAR123
Would it be benefitial to obtain these qualifications here before going to secure jobs in oz?
Not sure about painting and decorating but I am a Plumber and I had gone back to college to get the latest qualifications before going to 'Oz' when I got here I got my provisional licence but have to do some modules and work for a company for a year before getting my full licence.
I was speaking to a guy who owns a painting and decorating company last week and he said he was paying his guys $28 an hour casual which for the Sunshine coast is pretty good! Hpe this helps.

Flumpers Hubby
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:44 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, don't know the answer. my hubbie is a p + d with city + guilds + apprenticeship behind him. i don't think painters have to re-train out there. we've heard nothing about this. correct me if i'm wrong, anybody?

michelle
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

JAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bun
sorry, don't know the answer. my hubbie is a p + d with city + guilds + apprenticeship behind him. i don't think painters have to re-train out there. we've heard nothing about this. correct me if i'm wrong, anybody?

michelle
Thanks mIchelle for your response.
I know some trades have to get a licence is that the same for P & D?
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:58 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mIchelle for your response.
I know some trades have to get a licence is that the same for P & D?

i don't think you do. you can join the 'master painters australia' (the info we have is in nsw, but i don't know whether they are nationally?

it costs money, but doesn't everything?

i'm sure there are more painters and decorators on this forum, but they do seem to be very thin on the ground!! good news i suppose for when we get over there (fewer exprienced/qualified people going for jobs)

any more p+d's out there?

michelle
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bun
i don't think you do. you can join the 'master painters australia' (the info we have is in nsw, but i don't know whether they are nationally?

it costs money, but doesn't everything?

i'm sure there are more painters and decorators on this forum, but they do seem to be very thin on the ground!! good news i suppose for when we get over there (fewer exprienced/qualified people going for jobs)

any more p+d's out there?

michelle
Thanks
Any one else with info Please
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

taylors244 will become famous soon enoughtaylors244 will become famous soon enough

Thanks
Any one else with info Please
hi
i`m pretty sure that any british qualifications don`t really stand for much in oz and it doesn`t matter if you are a supervisor or manager etc over here, i`m sure you have to start back on `the shop floor` as it were!!
keith
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by taylors244
hi
i`m pretty sure that any british qualifications don`t really stand for much in oz and it doesn`t matter if you are a supervisor or manager etc over here, i`m sure you have to start back on `the shop floor` as it were!!
keith
Thanks.
Shop floor is fine ,just wondered whether it helped getting a job.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

My hubbie thought the same about doing NVQ in carpentry and bricklaying as he has similar years experience and no C&G when we first started thinking of emigrating. Once we started making enquiries to see if we were suitable our agent told us to get through the trade assessment (TRA) are more interested in your training and experience than in your trade qualifications, and we got thro TRA first time. You need to show approx 3-4 years training on the job and at least 5/6 years xperience in a trade for the TRA, but to get a licence as a P & D for jobs when you get to OZ you really need to do AUS trade/licence qualifications, you literally start all over again, and have to work under someone else's licence till you are Aussie qualified so wouldn't bother with NVQ here, you are wastin your time!!!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sherie
My hubbie thought the same about doing NVQ in carpentry and bricklaying as he has similar years experience and no C&G when we first started thinking of emigrating. Once we started making enquiries to see if we were suitable our agent told us to get through the trade assessment (TRA) are more interested in your training and experience than in your trade qualifications, and we got thro TRA first time. You need to show approx 3-4 years training on the job and at least 5/6 years xperience in a trade for the TRA, but to get a licence as a P & D for jobs when you get to OZ you really need to do AUS trade/licence qualifications, you literally start all over again, and have to work under someone else's licence till you are Aussie qualified so wouldn't bother with NVQ here, you are wastin your time!!!
Thanks for your reply ,It Made interesting reading .