Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which city is Better for CNC Programmer and CAD Technician ? Sydney or Melbourne

Which city is Better for CNC Programmer and CAD Technician ? Sydney or Melbourne

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which city is Better for CNC Programmer and CAD Technician ? Sydney or Melbourne

HI all,

I would like to get some information regarding Technical/engineering job either in Sydney and Melbourne.

If any of you can give me some insight to get a job in engineering area, especially in sheet metal fabrication. I have degree in Mech Eng and currently working as CNC programmer and CAD technician. Got knowledge in C++ and own a small software business for perforated metal industry.

Just wondering if the company at those city pay the employee by salary or wages.... and how much the average salary for a CAD technician.

thank you for any information
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:18 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Which city is Better for CNC Programmer and CAD Technician ? Sydney or Melbourne

Melbourne has s more establish manufacturing sector especielly with metal and a large car industry but both cities are huge centres and both have opportunities. If you need an answer on which is better then Victoria for sure.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:22 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which city is Better for CNC Programmer and CAD Technician ? Sydney or Melbourne

Originally Posted by EinsteinJ
HI all,

I would like to get some information regarding Technical/engineering job either in Sydney and Melbourne.

If any of you can give me some insight to get a job in engineering area, especially in sheet metal fabrication. I have degree in Mech Eng and currently working as CNC programmer and CAD technician. Got knowledge in C++ and own a small software business for perforated metal industry.

Just wondering if the company at those city pay the employee by salary or wages.... and how much the average salary for a CAD technician.

thank you for any information
This company is in Adelaide , and are always looking for good people.........MM
www.toolcraft.com.au/
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for some insight. I also thinking about Victoria, and probably Melbourne for start. However, the manufacturing sites are mostly in the southern and eastern area which are relatively more expensive area to buy house as far as my internet research tell me .

But i'll try to find more information as my machine skill is in CNC machine tool ( laser, press brake, turret, plasma, waterjet )

Thanks anyway
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Go on seek.com.au. Every week check for the job you're after - 1 search for sydney, 1 for melbourne and 1 for wherever else you are thinking of going. You can set up e-mail alerts. Do this for 5-6 weeks

Whichever place has more adverts (check for duplicates) will have more jobs. Simple
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks itxrd,

On the other hand, i could not rely heavily on www.seek.com.au, 'coz i think it only shows 30-40% the real job available on market from both cities.

Whereas other 30% of the vacancy are from viral publication ( i.e. from close friends,families, relatives, etc) and the rest of new vacancies come from internal promotion.

But anyway thanks for your input.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EinsteinJ
Thanks itxrd,

On the other hand, i could not rely heavily on www.seek.com.au, 'coz i think it only shows 30-40% the real job available on market from both cities.

Whereas other 30% of the vacancy are from viral publication ( i.e. from close friends,families, relatives, etc) and the rest of new vacancies come from internal promotion.

But anyway thanks for your input.
These are IT jobs - not jobs in the local butchers ;-). I'd say more like 70-80% are through seek. Same as in the UK. Maybe more. And for your purposes even if it was lower it will still tell you which city has more jobs - not like in Sydney they;ll advertise 40% and in Mel 80%