Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship time scale

Citizenship time scale

Old Oct 20th 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default Citizenship time scale

Can anyone tell me if the citizenship timescale has changed from 2 to 3 years yet and is it still being debated.

Also does the two years mean from when you validate or is it 2 years living in the country, I guess the second

But what if I validate then the rule chenges to 3 years will that affect me say if I was moving permanently in June, sounds like a plan!

Cheers

Mick
Old Oct 20th 2006, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship time scale

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Can anyone tell me if the citizenship timescale has changed from 2 to 3 years yet and is it still being debated.

Also does the two years mean from when you validate or is it 2 years living in the country, I guess the second

But what if I validate then the rule chenges to 3 years will that affect me say if I was moving permanently in June, sounds like a plan!

Cheers

Mick
I think you might find that it is changing to 4 years from Jan 27th next year, so unless you are resident from before that date you will have to wait 4 years to become an official Bruce
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:31 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mickagnew

Cheers

Mick
try looking here there's also a link to another web site that explains it in more detail.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
I think you might find that it is changing to 4 years from Jan 27th next year, so unless you are resident from before that date you will have to wait 4 years to become an official Bruce
Only if the legislation is passed on time. It's still stuck on the parliamentary order paper.

As to whether validation will freeze your eligiblility for the 2 years, then sorry, unfortunately the definition of "permanent resident" for the Citizenship Act is very complex and no-one will be able to tell you for sure. My feeling is that validation will work to keep your residence requirement at 2 years, but I can't be sure.

And remember, even if validation does preserve the 2 year eligibility, it will be necessary to clock up the 2 years within THREE years of Commencement Day. So if you stay overseas too long you'll need to wait 4 years after arriving anyway.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 24th 2006 at 11:54 pm.