British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Citizenship Test - Marriage Certificate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/citizenship-test-marriage-certificate-544939/)

spalen Jun 24th 2008 2:26 pm

Citizenship Test - Marriage Certificate

Going for the fabled Citizenship Test on Friday and noted on the documentation it says that an "overseas" Marriage certificate is not enough for proof of change of name through marriage

How do you get round this - do we need to apply for some australian version to prove we were married

God forbid the other option of having to re-marry is too heinous to even think about. Fool me once, ... Fool me twice.......... as the saying goes

thanks for any advice from those who have been through it.

Pootle Jun 24th 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Citizenship Test - Marriage Certificate

Originally Posted by spalen (Post 6498921)
Going for the fabled Citizenship Test on Friday and noted on the documentation it says that an "overseas" Marriage certificate is not enough for proof of change of name through marriage

How do you get round this - do we need to apply for some australian version to prove we were married

Oh yes - I went through all of that after reading it on here! Got my certificates certified, sent them all off with an application for a change of name certificate ..... then they phoned me and said I didn't need one because all my documents (passport etc) were in my married name. I thought it was mad - how could I register a change of name in Australia when I'd never been known by any other name here?

When I put in the citizenship application, I took in all my original documents and they scanned them in. I'm pretty sure they didn't even want the marriage one but I would take it anyway (I could be wrong!)

If you got married before you came, and everything is in your married name then just take all your uk certificates with you to the test. They will scan them in for you, then you don't need to provide them again for the citizenship application.

Good luck with the test!

Pollyana Jun 24th 2008 8:17 pm

God forbid the other option of having to re-marry is too heinous to even think about. Fool me once, ... Fool me twice.......... as the saying goes

A couple of people have actually been told to apply for a "change of name" certificate as their marriage certificates weren't considered good enough. There's a thread on here somewhere but as Search is still kaput I can't find it, sorry :(

keithandsam Jun 25th 2008 1:20 am

hi
ok,went for our test 3wks ago in southport, first of all i rang to see if they needed my marriage certificate,no was the answer.when we arrived and they checked through our documentation i was told i should have bought my marriage certificate ,so now have to send a certified copy with our application. i think they make it up as they go along!!

68MEVY Jun 26th 2008 12:08 pm

I didn't need to do a change of name form. They accepted my marriage cert as it is also the name in my passport.
Marie

spalen Jun 27th 2008 10:37 am

Originally Posted by 68MEVY (Post 6505464)
I didn't need to do a change of name form. They accepted my marriage cert as it is also the name in my passport.
Marie

You guys were right and thanks for the advice - uk marriage cert was ok

What wasnt ok was Igot 95% and Mrs spalen got 100%, divorce may be on the cards if she doesn't stop gloating.

The "45 minute" test took exactly 3 minutes to wizz through the 20 questions. The main thing to swot on is the rights & priveledges of being a citizen pretty much the rest is common sense.Reading the 20 page booklet twice will give you all you need to pass.

flip Jun 29th 2008 3:55 pm

Gloating? I'm in the same position as your wife and just feel so much sympathy for my husband and your good self... You can hardly call that gloating surely?