British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Citizenship test (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/citizenship-test-486129/)

Amazulu Oct 9th 2007 3:22 am

Citizenship test

Just got back from doing my citizenship test. It is ultra easy. I got 20/20 in about 90 seconds. You would have to be a total moron to fail (although someone did whilst I was there!). The longest part of the whole thing is the process before the test. It took ages. The software is new and not easy for them to use and they are still learning the system :unsure:. It took the official about 30 minutes to process my documents. She got it all wrong and had to re-scan everything. After that you do the test. If you pass you can start the citizenship application. You no longer have to do an interview - the test is now the 'interview'. So now it's fill the form in online, pay the fee (now $240) and submit. You do not need to go back to DICA for anything. In Perth it's currently taking 6 months to get a ceremony - so my idea of doing it on Australia day is looking unlikely.

Three Legs Oct 9th 2007 3:24 am

Re: Citizenship test

Sounds good ...

Roll on April when I can apply.

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 5403081)
Just got back from doing my citizenship test. It is ultra easy. I got 20/20 in about 90 seconds. You would have to be a total moron to fail (although someone did whilst I was there!). The longest part of the whole thing is the process before the test. It took ages. The software is new and not easy for them to use and they are still learning the system :unsure:. It took the official about 30 minutes to process my documents. She got it all wrong and had to re-scan everything. After that you do the test. If you pass you can start the citizenship application. You no longer have to do an interview - the test is now the 'interview'. So now it's fill the form in online, pay the fee (now $240) and submit. You do not need to go back to DICA for anything. In Perth it's currently taking 6 months to get a ceremony - so my idea of doing it on Australia day is looking unlikely.

Pootle Oct 9th 2007 3:28 am

Well done on such a brilliant score!

Got my test booked for tomorrow - wish me luck! :)

Amazulu Oct 9th 2007 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Pootle (Post 5403102)
Well done on such a brilliant score!

Got my test booked for tomorrow - wish me luck! :)

Good luck! You'll ace it.

worzel Oct 9th 2007 3:58 am

That is good to hear. We hit the two year mark in 11 days.

What docos did you have to provide and when? If we need photos or anything certified we can start looking into it.

Amazulu Oct 9th 2007 4:02 am

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5403177)
That is good to hear. We hit the two year mark in 11 days.

What docos did you have to provide and when? If we need photos or anything certified we can start looking into it.

Passport with your visa in it.
Birth certificate.
Drivers licence or any other document that has your photo, name and current address on it.

They take your photo before the test.

stevemich Oct 9th 2007 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 5403184)
Birth certificate.
Drivers licence or any other document that has your photo, name and current address on it.

Just out of interest (still some time off for us), but is the $240 per person, or as a family? Just thinking it could be a bit expensive if you have to pay for each person...

Amazulu Oct 9th 2007 5:04 am

Originally Posted by stevemich (Post 5403236)
Just out of interest (still some time off for us), but is the $240 per person, or as a family? Just thinking it could be a bit expensive if you have to pay for each person...

It's per person I think. You do not pay for children though.

stevemich Oct 9th 2007 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 5403262)
It's per person I think. You do not pay for children though.

Cheers. Makes sense really!

steve99 Oct 9th 2007 5:12 am

Girl in my office had the interview about 2-3 weeks ago, had her ceremony last night. She just rang up the local council (Stirling) and asked when the soonest she could do it was as she was going to NZ at the end of the year and wanted to apply for a passport etc. When we did ours last year it was a similar thing, they told us it could be up to 6 months, I rang up Cambridge council and they booked us in for about 4 weeks later.
Might be worth a try and to specifically ask if there's some sort of process you have to follow so you can be "done" on Australia Day.

TrickyTree Oct 9th 2007 5:32 am

Think it depends on what questions you get as there were 8 sample questions in the Australian newspaper the other day and no one in the office got all 8 (the best was 6). :ohmy:

themerlin Oct 9th 2007 6:16 am

What where the value questions like?

worzel Oct 9th 2007 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 5403184)
Birth certificate.

Cheers. That is easier that doing the forms before the 2 years.

worzel Oct 9th 2007 8:54 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 5403273)
Girl in my office had the interview about 2-3 weeks ago, had her ceremony last night. She just rang up the local council (Stirling) and asked when the soonest she could do it was as she was going to NZ at the end of the year and wanted to apply for a passport etc. When we did ours last year it was a similar thing, they told us it could be up to 6 months, I rang up Cambridge council and they booked us in for about 4 weeks later.
Might be worth a try and to specifically ask if there's some sort of process you have to follow so you can be "done" on Australia Day.

It depends on which city you are in. Wanneroo put them on hold recently for a while as they couldn't get enough forms! I think if you live in a pommy enclave you may wait longer it seems.

Amazulu Oct 9th 2007 9:08 am

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 5403358)
What where the value questions like?

Real easy. Just have a quick read of the book. It's all in there.