Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship and Superannuation

Citizenship and Superannuation

Old May 21st 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Mouse Goes South is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship and Superannuation

Firstly, please excuse my ignorance on australian tax matters and hence my plea for assistance.

My understanding from reading other posts here on BE and the ATO website is that Australian citizens are not eligible for the Departing Australia Super Payment given that, as citizens, they have the option to retire in Oz.

However, if you take Australian citizenship (still maintaining your dual citizenship with UK), work and contribute for however many years to the Australian super scheme (govt in my case) and then in the fullness of time decide to return to the UK, does that mean you cannot access the funds you have accrued in Australia as you have chosen to retire in the UK as a UK citizen (still maintaining your dual citizenship with Australia).

Slightly concerned that I will not be able to access both my personal and employer contributions if we ever decide to return to UK.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 21st 2008, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship and Superannuation

Not just citizens - the same rule applies to permanent residents. Of course you will be able to access your super contributions but in the same way that anyone can access them - when you reach retirement age. Until that time, they will be a sort of enforced savings sitting in Aus waiting for you to get old.
Old May 25th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Mouse Goes South is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship and Superannuation

Thanks Quoll.