Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship residency requirements?

Citizenship residency requirements?

Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:32 am
Just Joined

sweetestthing21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Citizenship residency requirements?

Just wondered if anybody can clear something up for me?

I've been told that a dependent child who gained PR staus on their parents visa can apply for citizenship once their parents become citizens, even if they haven't yet met the residency requirements & as long as they are under the age of 25 at time of applying? Is this true or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship residency requirements?

Originally Posted by sweetestthing21 View Post
Just wondered if anybody can clear something up for me?

I've been told that a dependent child who gained PR staus on their parents visa can apply for citizenship once their parents become citizens, even if they haven't yet met the residency requirements & as long as they are under the age of 25 at time of applying? Is this true or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!
Children must be under the age of 16 in order to be included on a parent's citizenship application.

The confusion arises because the upper limit for a child migration visa (subject to dependency) is 25th birthday. However immigration and citizenship laws are two entirely different sets of legislation.