Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Residency Requirement - Short trips abroad

Citizenship Residency Requirement - Short trips abroad

Old Jul 21st 2008, 3:04 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship Residency Requirement - Short trips abroad

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just to add to that, a Resident Return Visa is generally valid for 5 years.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf
Ahh, I didn't realize that. Makes sense though because it would be a pain to get that every single time. We plan to get citizenship so I'm not really concerned about the resident return visas, for us anyway.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Ahh, I didn't realize that. Makes sense though because it would be a pain to get that every single time. We plan to get citizenship so I'm not really concerned about the resident return visas, for us anyway.
I'm still toying with the citizenship option. Loks like we have foudn a loophole at work so I don't have to do it yet. I'll need an RRV to leave Aus from 2010, so if I feel like an Aussie by then I'll do it, otherwise its an RRV for 5 years, and then I'll have another think I know everyone has their own reasons for citizenship, personally I don't want to do it until it feels right.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:25 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
See the other posts above and in addition :

Immigration laws can change. You could be deported if you commit a crime involuntarily or unknowingly for example. And you'll be paying for a residents return visa if you ever want to leave and re-enter the country when your visa expires (5 years from issue).
A citizen can also be deported if they commit a crime if they are not a natural born Australian citizen (though admittidly the crime has to be pretty big)

There is also the little known (and completely untested) wording of the new citizenship act which allows for "up to" one of your 4 year quallifying period to be spent outside of Australia, hard to know how this would help a constant traveller but in theory you can validate, spend a year outside Australia then return to live in Australia for 3 years and apply and be granted citizenship.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
A citizen can also be deported if they commit a crime if they are not a natural born Australian citizen (though admittidly the crime has to be pretty big)

That is untrue.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:47 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
That is untrue.
No its not.

Sections 34 and 35 of the Citizenship act 2007 give various circumstance where the minister can cancel citizenship for crimes. Fraud in obtaining citizenship for example will result in its loss and presumably, if the minister has gone through the trouble of cancelling citizenship, deportation.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

No its not.
Yes it is.

If you become a citizen and then commit a crime, you cannot be deported for it.

You can only be deported if it subsequently comes to light that you committed a crime, prior to becoming a citizen, and that crime would otherwise have caused your citizenship application to be rejected.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes it is.

If you become a citizen and then commit a crime, you cannot be deported for it.

You can only be deported if it subsequently comes to light that you committed a crime, prior to becoming a citizen, and that crime would otherwise have caused your citizenship application to be rejected.
No its not!

There is a specific circumstance mentioned in the citizenship act where by your citizenship can be revoked for crimes commited after citizenship has been granted, maybe you should read the act!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Chalkface is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Citizenship Residency Requirement - Short trips abroad

No its not!

There is a specific circumstance mentioned in the citizenship act where by your citizenship can be revoked for crimes commited after citizenship has been granted, maybe you should read the act!
OOOh Yes it is !!!!!!!

......i'll get my coat ......
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:36 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

No its not!

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/loss/deprive-citz.htm

"The Australian Citizenship Act 2007 allows for revocation of Australian citizenship in very limited circumstances and only for convictions for actions prior to the acquisition of citizenship."

"The Australian Government supports the notion that there should be certainty of Australian citizenship status. An Australian citizen by birth cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked. Similarly, a person conferred citizenship after fully disclosing all relevant factors is the equal of any other Australian citizen, and therefore cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked."
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:10 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bcworld
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/loss/deprive-citz.htm

"The Australian Citizenship Act 2007 allows for revocation of Australian citizenship in very limited circumstances and only for convictions for actions prior to the acquisition of citizenship."

"The Australian Government supports the notion that there should be certainty of Australian citizenship status. An Australian citizen by birth cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked. Similarly, a person conferred citizenship after fully disclosing all relevant factors is the equal of any other Australian citizen, and therefore cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked."
Seems pretty clear to me! Thanks for posting that, I was a bit confused reading both the arguements.

What about this situation though. Suppose you were convicted of murder in your home country, then you lied about it on your application and got a visa. Now in Australia you are convicted of murder for a second time only this time you have citizenship.

From what you've quoted it doesn't appear as though you could be deported for committing the second murder in Australia. But... could you be deported for having lied on your visa and committing fraud? Clearly you would not have been granted a visa or the citizenship that followed.

Just curious.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:35 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Seems pretty clear to me! Thanks for posting that, I was a bit confused reading both the arguements.

What about this situation though. Suppose you were convicted of murder in your home country, then you lied about it on your application and got a visa. Now in Australia you are convicted of murder for a second time only this time you have citizenship.

From what you've quoted it doesn't appear as though you could be deported for committing the second murder in Australia. But... could you be deported for having lied on your visa and committing fraud? Clearly you would not have been granted a visa or the citizenship that followed.

Just curious.
Yup, you'll be on your way back to Canada!

I know what ex_exile is getting at but the essence of the act is very much as above. Just don't go picking the wrong side if Canada & Australia ever decide to go to war!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:51 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious.
Is this a hypothetical?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:00 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Damn didn't see this one... I love these kind of debates about law and regulations that are publically available or available with a phone call.

Q: Can business trips be excluded from the two year residency requirement for me to apply for citizenship.

NO. Every single day spent outside Australian Border counts against you. Even if you have evidence that it's a business trip, etc.

I have contacted DIAC twice on this topic (and about some other stuff) and on both occasions when asked they went off to check and confirmed that all trips count. You are able to appeal and put in a letter requesting that they be excluded on the grounds that it was part of your residency requirement that you work for this company and they force you to go abroad, etc but it will delay your application by several months and they will deny the request anyway.

Q: Can I be deported once I have gained Citizenship

YES. The Australian Federal Government does have the power to revoke citizenship from an individual is they are shown to be a threat to Australia.

it would be contrary to the public interest for the person to remain an Australian citizen.
The wording is designed to be subjective so that the Federal Government can employ this in matters of national security. For example in cases of domestic terrorism enacted by a long term nationalised immigrant.

Also, obviously if you have lied in any way on your application form, including being convicted of a previous crime or have committed a crime and not declared it prior to your citizenship being granted, then all bets are off and your gone son.

I don't know you all personally, but I think it is highly unlikely that anyone of you will ever do anything bad enough for you to be deemed a threat to national security. So in general the answer is no, it's not likely you will be deported.

Hope this helps

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 22nd 2008 at 12:16 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:11 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Is this a hypothetical?
Yes of course! All for a debate my friend
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

• the approval to become an Australian citizen was gained as a result of third party fraud; for example, fraudulent conduct by a migration agent in the citizenship application
and
  • it would be contrary to the public interest for the person to remain an Australian citizen.
...is what it actually says. The public interest clause is used in conjunction with the fraudulent application clause, not on its own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.