Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

citizenship requirements

citizenship requirements

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:18 am
Just Joined

stef will become famous soon enough
Smile citizenship requirements

citizenship requirements Our three children ranging from17 to 23 have decided theyre not coming to Oz anymore. Our 18 and 17 yr old along with us validated our visas back in june so that does give us until may 2010 to get there. However, me and hubby dont really see ourselves settling down in oz with the kids in the uk. So i was wondering if me and hubby went over without selling the house say 6 months before the visa ran out and becoming citizens and then coming back here to live until we feel we can move back to oz without the kids would that be viable. I know you have to live in oz for 2 years to become a citizen but i also heard that the government has changed the laws about citizenship but im not sure as to what. Cheers
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:29 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship requirements

Stef,
Sorry to tell you the talk is that it will be changed to 3 years for qualification.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix
Stef,
Sorry to tell you the talk is that it will be changed to 3 years for qualification.
Thanx for that Bix. Trust the bloody kids to change their minds. We re only 41 and we really dont want to be living here in our old age trying to keep warm. Three years is a long time to be with out your kids (even though there not really kids!) But at least it wouldnt be a shut door in our face if we stay for citizenship.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stef
citizenship requirements Our three children ranging from17 to 23 have decided theyre not coming to Oz anymore. Our 18 and 17 yr old along with us validated our visas back in june so that does give us until may 2010 to get there. However, me and hubby dont really see ourselves settling down in oz with the kids in the uk. So i was wondering if me and hubby went over without selling the house say 6 months before the visa ran out and becoming citizens and then coming back here to live until we feel we can move back to oz without the kids would that be viable. I know you have to live in oz for 2 years to become a citizen but i also heard that the government has changed the laws about citizenship but im not sure as to what. Cheers

It's soon going to be 3 years for citizenship.

Anyway, why are you letting your children dictate your plans in life? You want to go to Australia, you can make it clear your children are welcome to join you (although the 23yo might have a visa issue) and if they don't, isn't it their problem rather than yours?

Jeremy
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Stef,

How long will you live your lives through your children ?

How long will they live their lives through you ?

Inevitably a parting of the waves will come. In what time frame and at what distance are the unknowns.

Would be ironic if they emigrated in a year or two eh ?

It is not inconceivable that if you made the move now that they would change their minds some months down the road and join you.

If they don't you can come back if you really think you should.

Please accept this in the way it's meant....trying to help you.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:25 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi Stef,

I have to echo what Bix and Jeremy have said.

My two daughters decided not to emigrate with me last year; it was really hard to go through with it and leave them behind in the UK. I had been working towards getting a PR visa since 1995 (long story!) and it was my dream to emigrate; but in the end I had to accept it might not be their dream, and realistically at nearly 19 and 17 as they were when I came to Aus they were on the verge of their adult lives which could very possibly take them to the other end of the UK or even overseas. It would have been devastating for me if I'd given up my dream and stayed in the UK for them, and they subsequently took off somewhere.

As it turns out, my younger daughter has decided to come over to Aus to live with me next June when she finishes her college course, and my elder daughter is bringing her fiance for a holiday/recce this Christmas; if he thinks he could settle here they will set about getting a visa for him and hopefully come over to live in 2007.

Only you can decide when or whether to make this move, but sooner or later your children will strike out and make their own lives. My advice would be not to put your own lives on hold until then, you might regret it later.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Elaine M
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: citizenship requirements

Originally Posted by Bix
Stef,

How long will you live your lives through your children ?

How long will they live their lives through you ?

Inevitably a parting of the waves will come. In what time frame and at what distance are the unknowns.

Would be ironic if they emigrated in a year or two eh ?

It is not inconceivable that if you made the move now that they would change their minds some months down the road and join you.

If they don't you can come back if you really think you should.

Please accept this in the way it's meant....trying to help you.

Thankyou for your words it does make sense in black and white but the reality is so much harder. We re such a close family and it was only something that really my husband wants - the kids were just at an age before hormones kicked in really when we applied. It s been such a long process and we ve had so many things go against us but maybe youre right and we should think of ourselves. Cheers