Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship or Permanent Residency?

Citizenship or Permanent Residency?

Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:53 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship or Permanent Residency?

I have been over here now for 7 years. My wife is an Aussie and I have two kids on Aussie passports. I have held permanent residency for 6 years through the spouse visa.

A question I get asked a lot is "when are you going to go for citizenship?", to which my response goes along the lines of "why would I?". Maybe I am missing something but I don't really get what I am missing out on, apart from being able to vote, which quite frankly I couldn't give two proverbials about.

The general reaction I get from the average Aussie when I answer that way is of utter confusion and they ask "don't you want to be an Aussie?", to which I decline to answer in fear of offending them.

The thing I don't get and I'd love to hear opposing arguments to this, is just because I live in a different country, does that go hand in hand with the expectation that I should take on their nationality? I am British, through and through after all. Swearing allegiance to Australia, as meaningless as it is, would simply be faking it for me.

That's not to say that I don't want to contribute to Australian society, I pay taxes after all, I participate in local activities that are for the good of the community, I suppose it is just that I want to maintain my identity. I could never see myself supporting an Aussie sporting team when facing a British team and quite ironically, I know Brits who have taken citizenship and become "Stayan" and will support England to the death over the Aussies.

I don't get it. Can anyone enlighten me?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship or Permanent Residency?

Sometimes people do it because the genuinely feel like an Aussie, sometimes they do it as a matter of convenience.

As for the latter, that means not having to ever worry about applying for resident return visas (which you will have to do if you decide to take an overseas holiday). In addition being able to apply for the many jobs which are only open to Australian citizens, access to education funding etc etc.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:05 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sometimes people do it because the genuinely feel like an Aussie, sometimes they do it as a matter of convenience.

As for the latter, that means not having to ever worry about applying for resident return visas (which you will have to do if you decide to take an overseas holiday). In addition being able to apply for the many jobs which are only open to Australian citizens, access to education funding etc etc.
I wasn't aware of the education funding side of things, so that good to know, cheers.

As for the resident return visas, I recently went to England (over Xmas) for 3 weeks and didn't have to do anything to return. They just looked at the same visa I have held for 6 years.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
..., I suppose it is just that I want to maintain my identity. I could never see myself supporting an Aussie sporting team when facing a British team and quite ironically, I know Brits who have taken citizenship and become "Stayan" and will support England to the death over the Aussies.
Given that Australia allows you to maintain dual citizenship with Britain I don't think you're officially expected to lose your identity....supporting British sports teams is not a problem....I'm sure many British dual nationals still support UK teams....most people would understand that as we can all relate....not saying this is a reason to go ahead and do it...just don't think things like sporting identity should stand in the way. After all, dual citizenship does not mean you must be 99% Aus and 1% UK - you can find your own balance.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't aware of the education funding side of things, so that good to know, cheers.

As for the resident return visas, I recently went to England (over Xmas) for 3 weeks and didn't have to do anything to return. They just looked at the same visa I have held for 6 years.
Well a PR visa only allows entry into Australia for 5 years. Have a look at your visa label - it will say 'Must not arrive after xxxxxxxx'. You are fine to keep living in Australia, you just can't get back in.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

No expiry date?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:32 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by fish.01
No expiry date?
June last year. So how come they let me in no questions asked then? Maybe they didn't see the date
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

June last year. So how come they let me in no questions asked then? Maybe they didn't see the date
Does that make you an illegal immigrant??
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe your body language was so relaxed they just assumed all your paperwork was in order.....lucky you didn't appear stressed about it - PR vs Citizenship may have become a moot point
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Lucky they didn't stick you on the next plane back!

Well you saved yourself $240 which is the cost of the RRV, and incidentally the same as a citizenship application - but you only do the citizenship application once - you'd need an RRV every 5 years assuming you wanted to travel.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably on the opposite side from you. I don't see the point of not getting citizenship. It doesn't make me any less English but with the husband and the daughters having dual nationality, it seemed daft not to have two passports. I'm not going anywhere else as far as I know but it's nice to know that I have the choice of living in either country with no complications.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I have been over here now for 7 years. My wife is an Aussie and I have two kids on Aussie passports. I have held permanent residency for 6 years through the spouse visa.

A question I get asked a lot is "when are you going to go for citizenship?", to which my response goes along the lines of "why would I?". Maybe I am missing something but I don't really get what I am missing out on, apart from being able to vote, which quite frankly I couldn't give two proverbials about.

The general reaction I get from the average Aussie when I answer that way is of utter confusion and they ask "don't you want to be an Aussie?", to which I decline to answer in fear of offending them.

The thing I don't get and I'd love to hear opposing arguments to this, is just because I live in a different country, does that go hand in hand with the expectation that I should take on their nationality? I am British, through and through after all. Swearing allegiance to Australia, as meaningless as it is, would simply be faking it for me.

That's not to say that I don't want to contribute to Australian society, I pay taxes after all, I participate in local activities that are for the good of the community, I suppose it is just that I want to maintain my identity. I could never see myself supporting an Aussie sporting team when facing a British team and quite ironically, I know Brits who have taken citizenship and become "Stayan" and will support England to the death over the Aussies.

I don't get it. Can anyone enlighten me?

Can understand your dilema! I came long enough ago not to have any limitations, could vote, access education etc etc. I did not acquire citizenship for about 38 years. After that amount of time my allegence was divided. I knew Australia was where I would be for the rest of my life but I would always be Scots. Renew your RRV for as long as you need to. You will know when you are ready totake citizenship. By the way, When Scotland play Australia at anything I always hope for a draw!!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Returning Visas in Australia only last 5 years? Is that correct?

My partner is British, with Permanent residency in NZ (I am a kiwi) and we have recently moved to Australia and his NZ returning Visa is indefinite...I would have thought the Australian one would be the same??
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by bananalana
Returning Visas in Australia only last 5 years? Is that correct?

My partner is British, with Permanent residency in NZ (I am a kiwi) and we have recently moved to Australia and his NZ returning Visa is indefinite...I would have thought the Australian one would be the same??
No they either have 5 year or 3 month validity.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/resi...ligibility.htm
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Citizenship or Permanent Residency?

As long as you're doing your bit for the nation and you're prepared to accept a few restrictions (RRV, etc.) I don't see any problem here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.