Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship and Obligations should you leave Oz

Citizenship and Obligations should you leave Oz

Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship and Obligations should you leave Oz

Hi, one of our family members will become a citizen of Australia this year. But sadly they will be leaving Australia this year, maybe for good, maybe just for a few years, who knows.

They will close all bank accounts and cease to have anything running here.

Can I ask, what obligations will they have to Australia, while living in the UK as a UK citizen. Will they have to vote here, will they have to file a tax return here every year. Will they have to formally do anything here?

They are over 21 years of age, no children, and single.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship and Obligations should you leave Oz

Originally Posted by blackcab
Hi, one of our family members will become a citizen of Australia this year. But sadly they will be leaving Australia this year, maybe for good, maybe just for a few years, who knows.

Can I ask, what obligations will they have to Australia, while living in the UK as a UK citizen. Will they have to vote here, will they have to file a tax return here every year. Will they have to formally do anything here?

Thanks for any help.
no need for a tax return unless they earn anything here. if they leave mid year (afte july 1st) do a tax return next year to get anything back that they are owed, thats all. I suggest they get any refund paid to a bank account here held by a relative -not sure what percentage the ATO would withhold in fees if they use a non-Aus account!

If they aren't resident they don't need to vote.

Just get on the plane and wave goodbye ( lucky gits!)
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No requirement to vote but they can register to vote if they wish.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I left a bank account. It was receiving interest on a minor amount for about 12 years. I think I accumulated about $20 over that time. Never did a tax return. Was never asked.

I used to recieve fines for not voting at my old address for 12 years. Again did nothing and they went away.

I wouldn't suggest you follow my lead but its not the end of the world if you forget a couple of things like I did.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blackcab

Thanks for any help.
They can be taken off the electoral roll by calling the State and Federal Electoral Offices before they leave.

Tick the box on the immigration form at the airport stating that they are leaving the country permanently.

They can also notify the ATO that they do not expect to lodge any further ITRs (assuming they will have no Australian sourced income).
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
They can be taken off the electoral roll by calling the State and Federal Electoral Offices before they leave.

Tick the box on the immigration form at the airport stating that they are leaving the country permanently.

They can also notify the ATO that they do not expect to lodge any further ITRs (assuming they will have no Australian sourced income).
That's interesting. I used to tick leaving permanently on everyone of my visits to Oz in that time. It never took me off the electoral role. I suspect there was no syncing between immigration and the electoral role.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Thankyou all for your very welcome replies, very much appreciated.

We will close all bank accounts, notify the ATO; and make sure they are off State and Federal electoral roles.

Thankyou for your feedback
Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's interesting. I used to tick leaving permanently on everyone of my visits to Oz in that time. It never took me off the electoral role. I suspect there was no syncing between immigration and the electoral role.
Every time I go home I tick 'leaving permanently' in the hope I will never have to come back. It has no effect and is definitely not connected to the Electoral Offices.
Its purely for statistics.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I left a bank account. It was receiving interest on a minor amount for about 12 years. I think I accumulated about $20 over that time. Never did a tax return. Was never asked.

I used to recieve fines for not voting at my old address for 12 years. Again did nothing and they went away.

I wouldn't suggest you follow my lead but its not the end of the world if you forget a couple of things like I did.

Hmmm, you should watch that - a friend of mine was fined for not voting - because he was in Indonesia working - and they eventually had his driving licence suspended until he paid the fine. It's still suspended now, because he refuses to pay it, but they won't listen to the fact that he wasn't here to vote.

S
Old Jun 30th 2015, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hmmm, you should watch that - a friend of mine was fined for not voting - because he was in Indonesia working - and they eventually had his driving licence suspended until he paid the fine. It's still suspended now, because he refuses to pay it, but they won't listen to the fact that he wasn't here to vote.

S
Was your friend still resident of Australia? I wasn't.

Anyhow, I think I fell off the electoral roll eventually and I'm back on it now. All seems fine.

Yep, I wouldn't recommend going down my path. It only happened as I thought that the country was smart enough to figure out that I was no longer resident - obviously not. To be honest, I didn't even think about the electoral roll or bank accounts when I last move out of Australia.

Next time I will.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:24 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Was your friend still resident of Australia? I wasn't.

Anyhow, I think I fell off the electoral roll eventually and I'm back on it now. All seems fine.

Yep, I wouldn't recommend going down my path. It only happened as I thought that the country was smart enough to figure out that I was no longer resident - obviously not. To be honest, I didn't even think about the electoral roll or bank accounts when I last move out of Australia.

Next time I will.

No, I think he just did the same as you - upped and left, without giving it any thought.

I missed an election a couple of years ago, and just sent them my flight itinerary - I never heard anything else of it. It can't be that hard a thing to prove that you were out of the country.

Knowing Ross to be the belligerent type, he's probably holding it out as a protest

S
Old Jun 30th 2015, 5:08 am
Home and Happy

No, I think he just did the same as you - upped and left, without giving it any thought.

I missed an election a couple of years ago, and just sent them my flight itinerary - I never heard anything else of it. It can't be that hard a thing to prove that you were out of the country.

Knowing Ross to be the belligerent type, he's probably holding it out as a protest

S
I've done the same, just sent in my flight itinierary, never heard another thing
Old Jun 30th 2015, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

S
I hope he doesn't hold an American citizenship.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 5:14 am
has lost The Game

I hope he doesn't hold an American citizenship.

He does. and British. He's probably at the top of Dutton's revocation list...

S
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He does. and British. He's probably at the top of Dutton's revocation list...

S
If feel for him ......... Tax everywhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.