Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship last chance!

Citizenship last chance!

Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:15 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Citizenship last chance!

You have up till Sunday night to do an on line application for citizenship without all the Aussie questions, the other plus point is it is only $120 and this will double monday and you need to do the test/exam thingy.

You can apply on line and then phone up the immigration office the next day for an interview appointment, ours is December 10th.

Good luck future Aussies
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship last chance!

Originally Posted by jensteve
You have up till Sunday night to do an on line application for citizenship without all the Aussie questions, the other plus point is it is only $120 and this will double monday and you need to do the test/exam thingy.

You can apply on line and then phone up the immigration office the next day for an interview appointment, ours is December 10th.

Good luck future Aussies
Can I come and watch? I reckon you three will make good Aussies
Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck future Aussies
This is how I described the ceremony to the folks back in the quaint hamlet of Birkenhead.

"We went to the local council office to join a hundred others in becoming Aussie.

As you arrive you get a folder that contains an Australian flag, an Australian Flag lapel pin, and the registration form for the electoral role. It's compulsory to enrol and vote here or you get fined.

The Mayor and local Federal/State MPs and councillors attend.

In groups of 10 you are called to the front to recite the oath to do with obeying laws, etc.

You can pledge an oath under God or pledge an affirmation. After you have lined up a Vicar comes along shaking hands and giving you a Bible. Now, interestingly everybody got a Bible irrespective of race or religion. Even the non-believers pledging the affirmation took a bible. Just goes to show that if something is free people take. Anyway, anybody need a Bible?

There are six lines and the Mayor says a line and then you repeat it. Then he walks along shaking hands and hands you your certificate of citizenship. He was followed by another dignitary who handed us each a native plant. They obviously haven't heard about the our green fingers, or lack of. I'm pleased to report that once we got home Teresa watered them. Let's see how long they last!

After everybody has been done you sing the National Anthem and you can stay for a buffet but we didn't."

If you have your driving licence you can complete the electoral form at the end of the ceremony.

There were people from all over the place becoming citizens.

Very nice evening with a local brass band playing.

Taking friends is encouraged.

The words for the oath and National Anthem are supplied.

Kids under-16 are encouraged to attend and stand-up at the front and repeat the oath although it is not compulsory for them to even attend. The youngest I saw take the oath was about 8. If you collect Bibles then the more the merrier!

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Good luck future Aussies
What deos the test/exam entail?
Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
This is how I described the ceremony to the folks back in the quaint hamlet of Birkenhead.

"We went to the local council office to join a hundred others in becoming Aussie.

As you arrive you get a folder that contains an Australian flag, an Australian Flag lapel pin, and the registration form for the electoral role. It's compulsory to enrol and vote here or you get fined.

The Mayor and local Federal/State MPs and councillors attend.

In groups of 10 you are called to the front to recite the oath to do with obeying laws, etc.

You can pledge an oath under God or pledge an affirmation. After you have lined up a Vicar comes along shaking hands and giving you a Bible. Now, interestingly everybody got a Bible irrespective of race or religion. Even the non-believers pledging the affirmation took a bible. Just goes to show that if something is free people take. Anyway, anybody need a Bible?

There are six lines and the Mayor says a line and then you repeat it. Then he walks along shaking hands and hands you your certificate of citizenship. He was followed by another dignitary who handed us each a native plant. They obviously haven't heard about the our green fingers, or lack of. I'm pleased to report that once we got home Teresa watered them. Let's see how long they last!

After everybody has been done you sing the National Anthem and you can stay for a buffet but we didn't."

If you have your driving licence you can complete the electoral form at the end of the ceremony.

There were people from all over the place becoming citizens.

Very nice evening with a local brass band playing.

Taking friends is encouraged.

The words for the oath and National Anthem are supplied.

Kids under-16 are encouraged to attend and stand-up at the front and repeat the oath although it is not compulsory for them to even attend. The youngest I saw take the oath was about 8. If you collect Bibles then the more the merrier!

Ian
That sounds fantastic. I can hardly wait until we can describe ours to our families.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:18 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
What deos the test/exam entail?
On the immigration website there is an example of test questions. The guys at work, and these are true Aussies say they would have problems with the exam. that said enough to me to gt on the internet and apply quick.
Jenny
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough

when did you apply?? we applied on line around 3 weeks ago and have phoned 3 times for an interview appointment and been told each time to call back in a week as they have none available!!!!!! how annoying! well at least weve managed to dodge the test.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Good luck future Aussies
#

Thanks a lot. We've just completed the application now.

Regards
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:09 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Citizenship last chance!

The Australian Government's new citizenship test was today introduced in Queensland and Victoria and so far everyone has passed.

Prospective Australian citizens must achieve a score of at least 60 per cent in the 20 multiple choice question exam in order to pass.

The Government says the test requires people to speak basic English and understand the responsibilities of Australian citizenship.

Questions include what Australia's floral emblem is and the year European settlement started in Australia.

South African Marius van Eeden and his family are among the first of 33 prospective citizens who are sitting the test today and he has thrown his support behind it.

"I think it's a fantastic idea," he said. "I don't think everyone that comes to Australia is really following the history, the culture, the values and I think it's a good thing."

Twenty-nine-year-old student Alejandro Rubilar from Chile says he found questions such as 'who is the head of the Government', simple.

"Scoring 60 per cent is really easy, the questions are very simple, but I think it is necessary," he said.

"If you want to fully integrate in the country you should know some basic things."
ABC.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:58 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

If we have been here for 15 months are we still able to go for citizenship after 2 years or do we now have to wait 4 years?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
If we have been here for 15 months are we still able to go for citizenship after 2 years or do we now have to wait 4 years?
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...ligibility.htm
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:10 pm
Moved out bush!

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi
when did you apply?? we applied on line around 3 weeks ago and have phoned 3 times for an interview appointment and been told each time to call back in a week as they have none available!!!!!! how annoying! well at least weve managed to dodge the test.
oh, we did it on line Thursday night, phoned up Friday morning and was given a date then. Don't quite know what is happening to your application, they seemed really good with ours.
Jenny
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That sounds fantastic. I can hardly wait until we can describe ours to our families.
I'm glad you liked it.

I searched on here for what happens at the ceremony and found nothing hence my post to let new applicants know how easy it is.

The hardest part of becoming an Aussie is getting the passport in that they are really strict on the photos so my advice is to let AusPost take them.

The passport form is easy and even better any living Aussie can sign the photo unlike the UK where it has to be somebody like a JP, Accountant, Chartered Engineer, etc..

Ian
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I'm glad you liked it.

I searched on here for what happens at the ceremony and found nothing hence my post to let new applicants know how easy it is.

The hardest part of becoming an Aussie is getting the passport in that they are really strict on the photos so my advice is to let AusPost take them.

The passport form is easy and even better any living Aussie can sign the photo unlike the UK where it has to be somebody like a JP, Accountant, Chartered Engineer, etc..

Ian
thanks thats good to know

kels x
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have my test booked for next Tuesday, the 9th. I've just downloaded the booklet - looks like fascinating reading.

Will let you all know how I got on next Tuesday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.