Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

citizenship at last

citizenship at last

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 1:09 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship at last

Originally Posted by abergas
Just wanted to let everyone know, that we are still alive and kicking in Perth, and on 13th September we will become citizens!!!

yve

Jeeze that went KWIK !! Congrats, over on East Coast, where we would get KNIGHTED all the people getting their Citizenship, have surnames with only 3 letters innem lol
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenzoe
Hi

We are wondering if one has met the two years residence requirement, but the spouse only has lived 1.5 years, is it possible approved at the same time ?
Unless special circumstances exist, DIMIA normally expects each adult applicant to meet the residence requirement as an individual.

You can apply now, and your spouse can follow in 6 months, at least that's one option.

Children under 16 can be added to the application of the first parent to become a citizen, no residence requirement for them (but they do usually need to be PRs).

Children aged 16 or over usually are expected to apply as adults and meet normal requirements, and in this case a parent is not also expected to be an applicants (or already a citizen).

Jeremy
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Just wondering what the interview was like and how long it took?
We could have applied on Jan 31st but have delayed due to finances (no maternity pay, has meant things have been a bit tight ). Anyway really keen to do so we can all be citizens like our new baby Todd!
Annie
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I have my interview next week (only applied on line last Monday :scared: ) so I'd be interested in a bit of inside info too...

Congratulaitons Yvonne & co.

Diane
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

You're organised Yve!! Well done. We've only just got round to filling in the forms. In fact they're sat beside me now waiting to be posted-when I remember!
I'm hoping we get delayed in the ceremony stakes & can stall until Australia day!

Loopy
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:42 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: citizenship at last

Originally Posted by Loopy
You're organised Yve!! Well done. We've only just got round to filling in the forms. In fact they're sat beside me now waiting to be posted-when I remember!
I'm hoping we get delayed in the ceremony stakes & can stall until Australia day!

Loopy
Took about 45 mins at the offices in Sydney. Make sure you know the responsibilities listed.
Pretty painless. They take your money first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no surprise there. No, it was worth it. I got mine last year and it took 13 years of hard yakka I can tell you.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:35 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to let everyone know, that we are still alive and kicking in Perth, and on 13th September we will become citizens!!!

yve
Wonderful news. All the best and enjoy.

Ginny
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:20 am
Just Joined

glenzoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless special circumstances exist, DIMIA normally expects each adult applicant to meet the residence requirement as an individual.

You can apply now, and your spouse can follow in 6 months, at least that's one option.

Children under 16 can be added to the application of the first parent to become a citizen, no residence requirement for them (but they do usually need to be PRs).

Children aged 16 or over usually are expected to apply as adults and meet normal requirements, and in this case a parent is not also expected to be an applicants (or already a citizen).

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy

Can you please give some example of special circumstances ?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:51 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

yve

oooh, congratulations yve!!
2 years!?? yikes!
Ive been waiting far too long to get over there....and STILL I have to wait!

enjoy the ceremony!

sue
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jeremy

Can you please give some example of special circumstances ?

Business trips overseas (not vacations) for an Australian employer might be an example, provided you are actually *living* in Australia.

Or read form 1027i and see what they say about 'significant hardship or disadvantage'

99% of the time, you need those 730 days physically in Australia, as does your spouse. If you qualify first, you can apply first.

Jeremy
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:28 am
Just Joined

glenzoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Business trips overseas (not vacations) for an Australian employer might be an example, provided you are actually *living* in Australia.

Or read form 1027i and see what they say about 'significant hardship or disadvantage'

99% of the time, you need those 730 days physically in Australia, as does your spouse. If you qualify first, you can apply first.

Jeremy

I am wondering if I could not apply for HECS loan due to not being a citizenship, Dose this mean I am suffering disadvantage ?

Thanks
Glen
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:22 am
JAJ
Retired

I am wondering if I could not apply for HECS loan due to not being a citizenship, Dose this mean I am suffering disadvantage ?

Thanks
Glen
That is unlikely to be accepted by DIMIA as a reason.

Jeremy