Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship interview next week

Citizenship interview next week

Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:14 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Question Citizenship interview next week

Hi

can anyone tell me what questions I am likely to be asked in my citizenship interview next week? It is being held at the Post Office in Belmont (Geelong) so if anyone has actually been to this office that would be great. If not what do they generally askyou?

Thanks

Mel
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship interview next week

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hi

can anyone tell me what questions I am likely to be asked in my citizenship interview next week?
You will be expected to know the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship. All explained on form 1027i.

Also make sure you bring the documentation required if you don't want a long delay in processing.

Jeremy
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:00 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Hi

can anyone tell me what questions I am likely to be asked in my citizenship interview next week? It is being held at the Post Office in Belmont (Geelong) so if anyone has actually been to this office that would be great. If not what do they generally askyou?

Thanks

Mel

Hi Mel,

we've also got ours next week but we're going through to Melbourne for ours. From what I've read on hear it's pretty straight forward and no need to panic. Whereabouts in Geelong are you? We're in Colac.....been on the Britvics site and found out another couple of folk who are in Geelong (both in Highton) so now we're throwing around the idea of organising a meet sometime. Interested?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we had ours last week (and got my letter welcoming me yesterday!).

They asked for all our documents, and the interviewer made us recite ALL the priviledges and rights of being a citizen...which are all listed on the forms available on the citizenship website.

relatively straightforward and far less daunting than I expected.

(and Banjo - be aware, you book in on the ground floor but interviews are on the second floor- the new employees at DIMIA, casseldon place, are forgetting to tell people this vital piece of info!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:01 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Wow, Pomster that was really quick! So did they tell you when you could expect your ceremony? I was going to ask you about the ground floor / second floor thing as on our letter it said ground floor. So.....just to be clear - we check in on the ground floor and then go straight up to the 2nd and wait until called?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:21 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Hi
can anyone tell me what questions I am likely to be asked in my citizenship interview next week?
Basically, what are your rights and responsibilities as a citizen... voting, jury service, passport etc.

When I had my interview at a Post Office (for people not living in the cities), the interviewer came to the section where he had to check I understood English, we'd been chatting for a while before this so I was at ease. He said, "this will sound silly be I have to ask if you understand what I'm saying to you". The sucker fell for it when I replied "huh ?".
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:39 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

Originally Posted by welshpom
When I had my interview at a Post Office (for people not living in the cities), the interviewer came to the section where he had to check I understood English, we'd been chatting for a while before this so I was at ease. He said, "this will sound silly be I have to ask if you understand what I'm saying to you". The sucker fell for it when I replied "huh ?".

that's really funny.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
Wow, Pomster that was really quick! So did they tell you when you could expect your ceremony? I was going to ask you about the ground floor / second floor thing as on our letter it said ground floor. So.....just to be clear - we check in on the ground floor and then go straight up to the 2nd and wait until called?
Yes- I was amazed at how quickly the letter came, but hubby is still waiting for his. We think the (Indian!!!) woman interviewing was not convinced he was the real deal as he has an English name, but looks Asian. You would think she has come across people with mixed parentage before. I have offered to sponsor him as the partner of an Aussie citizen

And yes, you do book in on ground floor, and they should tell you to go to the second floor but if they don't, just take the ticket they give you, and go upstairs and wait. There is a ticket indicator which will flash with your number when they are ready to interview you.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:28 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

Thanks for the info Pomster. Now I'm getting nervous! I'm hoping we don't get the same lady as you had! So, did you both go in together or did you have to go in seperately? And....so no word in your acceptance of when your ceremony might be?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

we had 2 interviews but sat together and were interviewed together (they queried why as we have different surnames- no-one else has ever found this strange).

My welcome letter said to wait up to 3 months to get a letter for the ceremony, dependant upon the demand in my borough.

Don't be nervous (although we were) as it is pretty straightforward- just remember all your documents, passports (incl expired ones if they had original entry visa), birth certs, and forms/photos.

Good luck- it will be a breeze!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:46 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone

i think I will be ok!

Mel

PS Banjo, I am in Belmont but moving to Highton within the next few months once our houseis built. It could be fun to meet up with other expats. PM me please once you have organised this witht he others and I will try to come along