Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship interview

Citizenship interview

Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:45 am
happygolucky

Default Citizenship interview

Have the rules governing the booking of a citizenship interview changed recently? Does one have to comply with all the requirements of residency at the booking an interview, or can a booking be done, in anticipation of meeting the requirements on the date of the interview. I had a Citizenship Office staff tell me that I need to satisfy all the requirements at the time of booking. Could anyone out there help me please. Thanks for the replies.

Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:50 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Citizenship interview

well, I don't think that is right. You can make a booking as long as you meet the requirements on that day. We booked our interview back in November for when we become eligible in a couple of weeks time.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:01 am
happygolucky

Thanks for your reply Banjo. The telephone consultant, checked up with his supervisor, before letting me know that one needs to have met all of the requirements, before making a booking. Do I call back and try my luck again? I shall be meeting my requirement in early March 2006.

Originally Posted by banjo
well, I don't think that is right. You can make a booking as long as you meet the requirements on that day. We booked our interview back in November for when we become eligible in a couple of weeks time.

Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:07 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

well.....if I were you I would make the booking because with the law changes I reckon they will be busier than normal and therefore if you leave it until March to actually 'make' your booking ....you'd probably not get an appointment until a couple of months later. I am learning VERY quickly that the best people to ask for advice are not the ones on the helpdesks - there seems to be an inability to 'think outside the box' and apply common sense. ot just here in Oz by the way.

Just be sure to make your appointment for when you do meet the requirements and you will be fine. If you don't meet them they won't process your application.

Pomster has just had an interview (yesterday I think)....maybe check what they did to get a consensus of opinion.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

They did tell me that I had to 'be compliant' as I booked the interview- however I think it depends on how you decide to lodge your forms.
Just in case the laws changed, we sent ours in ahead of the interview- so we had to meet the requirements.
I would imagine if you take your forms with you, you could easily book ahead- after all, everything would be in order when interviewed!

I have spoken to the telephone helpline and have been given completely contradictory advice, so their recommendations are not 100pct. We had to wait 6 weeks for an interview- but this might be due to Christmas shutdown.

Banjo- the interviewer did not say we were OK, but she did say " should get a letter within a month (bureaucracy at its finest) confirming acceptability, then an invite to citizenship within 3 months"- but then she seemed to think (foreign looking) hubby had not met the residency requirements, until she confirmed she had miscalculated his time in Oz.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happygolucky
Have the rules governing the booking of a citizenship interview changed recently? Does one have to comply with all the requirements of residency at the booking an interview, or can a booking be done, in anticipation of meeting the requirements on the date of the interview. I had a Citizenship Office staff tell me that I need to satisfy all the requirements at the time of booking. Could anyone out there help me please. Thanks for the replies.

You must meet the residence requirements on the date you *apply* for citizenship by lodging the form and fee with DIMIA (or when you apply online).

If you were told something else by the public enquiry line, I wouldn't necessarily believe that (too many stories of incorrect advice in all but the simplest cases).

Jeremy
Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:35 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

agree with jeremy. i lodged at my interview, so i booked for the day i was compliant. i think i booked around 4 weeks before hand.