Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship - going back to UK for a few weeks

Citizenship - going back to UK for a few weeks

Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Citizenship - going back to UK for a few weeks

Hi there,

We arrived in March and are thinking about using our return flights before the year runs out. We will only go back for 3 weeks to visit elderly relatives, friends and family but what we don't want to do is ruin our application for citizenship. I have read the documents but what I don't understand is if you can leave for a holiday. We arrived before the cut off in July (2 years to 4 year change). I am assuming it would be better for us to go in March and then we could clock up a year before we applied for Citizenship.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

PoppetUK
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:21 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - going back to UK for a few weeks

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi there,

We arrived in March and are thinking about using our return flights before the year runs out. We will only go back for 3 weeks to visit elderly relatives, friends and family but what we don't want to do is ruin our application for citizenship. I have read the documents but what I don't understand is if you can leave for a holiday. We arrived before the cut off in July (2 years to 4 year change). I am assuming it would be better for us to go in March and then we could clock up a year before we applied for Citizenship.

Regards

PoppetUK
You can leave but your 3 weeks out of the country is deducted from your 2 year requirement I believe. It is like a stopwatch and each time you leave Australia the stopwatch stops until you come back in. This is my understanding of it any road.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough

Exactly right.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:04 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi there,

Regards

PoppetUK
that's just what we did
had to add the three weeks on to the required 2 years before eligible to apply
in the big scheme of things it shouldn't make a huge difference to you
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gedge
that's just what we did
had to add the three weeks on to the required 2 years before eligible to apply
in the big scheme of things it shouldn't make a huge difference to you
I read somewhere that you needed to stay in Oz for the whole year before applying but I can't seem to find that now. That's my worry if we left the trip until 2009.

Thanks for the replies
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that you needed to stay in Oz for the whole year before applying but I can't seem to find that now.
Within the 2 years in 5, you need 12 months in the 2 years before applying.

A large number of people think it means they can't leave Australia for a vacation - not clear why (it's one of the "urban myths" of migration).
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
Within the 2 years in 5, you need 12 months in the 2 years before applying.

A large number of people think it means they can't leave Australia for a vacation - not clear why (it's one of the "urban myths" of migration).
OK Thanks. It would make sense to be allowed out on holiday etc!!! Unless they are desperate to keep us here!!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
You can leave but your 3 weeks out of the country is deducted from your 2 year requirement I believe. It is like a stopwatch and each time you leave Australia the stopwatch stops until you come back in. This is my understanding of it any road.
Correct for the 2 year rule. Under the new 4 year rule that's not the case provided absences do not exceed specific thresholds.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:24 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

What date did the deadline from 2 to 4 years come into effect?

When did we have to be here by?

Carmel
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:14 am
Brisbane or bust!

Hooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carmele

Carmel
I'm glad you asked that! I was just wondering the same!!!
Hope we get a reply!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:18 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Carmel
I believe it was 1st July. However if any of you came on a temp visa then up to 3 years of temp residence can be counted towards the 4 year requirement.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:36 am

I thought thru a sponsored visa for 4 years after that you could apply for permanent residency?
We're on 4 year sponsored visa and arrived on 26th July, If you get visa for 4years but only 3 of those years count, how do you get that last 4th year to get permanent residency? Citizenship?

Carmel
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

I thought thru a sponsored visa for 4 years after that you could apply for permanent residency?
We're on 4 year sponsored visa and arrived on 26th July, If you get visa for 4years but only 3 of those years count, how do you get that last 4th year to get permanent residency? Citizenship?

Carmel
Depends what sponsored visa you have. The 121/856 is a PR visa. On a temporary visa (457) PR is not guaranteed after any period of time. In my case we have been here for 2 years on a 457, by the time our PR is granted (if) then we will have been here for 2.5 years. Under the new ruling we will be eligible to apply for citizenship after 1.5 years. You must have have at least 12 months residence as a PR in the 4 year period to be eligible to apply for citizenship.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:45 am

Nothernbird thanks for that, had to re-read it, didn't make sense first time round now the penny has dropped!
Carmel
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

Nothernbird thanks for that, had to re-read it, didn't make sense first time round now the penny has dropped!
Carmel
Yeah wasn't the best post I have written, what visa are you on and when did you arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.