Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

citizenship by decent

citizenship by decent

Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:30 am
Just Joined

jgsmoothy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default citizenship by decent

my mother is an x Ozzy. When she became Canadian the consulate told her it would not affect me if i decided to get my duel later on ( i was born in 1971). So i get my form and fill it out and see that my mother has to be a citizen (Ozzy) when i get my duel. It says i if i was unaware of the requirements for citi by decent then i can still get it (i was unaware as also told wrong by the consulate). Does anyone have any info or advice concerning this or experience in this matter?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Check out the citizenship info here

Basically this page says:

A person can apply to resume Australian citizenship if they lost their citizenship:

by acquiring the citizenship of another country before 4 April 2002;

by renouncing their Australian citizenship in order to retain another citizenship and are under 25 years of age;
or

by being a child under 18 years of age when the responsible parent ceased to be an Australian citizen.

citizenship info here
Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Trevglas
Check out the citizenship info here

Basically this page says:

A person can apply to resume Australian citizenship if they lost their citizenship:

by acquiring the citizenship of another country before 4 April 2002;

by renouncing their Australian citizenship in order to retain another citizenship and are under 25 years of age;
or

by being a child under 18 years of age when the responsible parent ceased to be an Australian citizen.

actually i am 33 so the 18 thing does not work, but thanx anyways

citizenship info here
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jgsmoothy by being a child under 18 years of age when the responsible parent ceased to be an Australian citizen.
actually i am 33 so the 18 thing does not work, but thanx anyways
How old were you when the responsible parent ceased to be an Australian citizen ? If under 18 at that time, then that may qualify ?
Thats how I read it.

Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

i was actually 27.......but we were assured that it wouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:47 am
ABCDiamond

Can your mum get OZ citizenship back, under theses rules ?

"A person can apply to resume Australian citizenship if they lost their citizenship by acquiring the citizenship of another country before 4 April 2002;"

and then you apply ?

Old Apr 13th 2004, 4:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: citizenship by decent

Originally posted by jgsmoothy
my mother is an x Ozzy. When she became Canadian the consulate told her it would not affect me if i decided to get my duel later on ( i was born in 1971). So i get my form and fill it out and see that my mother has to be a citizen (Ozzy) when i get my duel. It says i if i was unaware of the requirements for citi by decent then i can still get it (i was unaware as also told wrong by the consulate). Does anyone have any info or advice concerning this or experience in this matter?
You are better off contacting (phoning) the immigration department and asking them for yourself to get the 100% correct answer to your question, instead of relying on answers from people who have no or little experience in this matter (unless there is someone on this site who has personally tried/ done it, and were in the same position as you are)
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/contacts.htm

Or you could try posting your question in the immigration forum and see if an immigration agent can answer it for you.http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=32

But if I were you, I'd first contact the immigration department (the first link) , or contact the nearest Australian embassy or consulate in your country and ask them your question ..."get it from the horses mouth" to be 100% sure

cheers