British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   citizenship ceremony question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/citizenship-ceremony-question-485388/)

bridie Oct 5th 2007 1:25 am

citizenship ceremony question

do you only become a citizen after you've had the ceremony, or does it happen before that and the ceremony is just kind of a celebration of it?

hope i'm making my question clear... difficult to word :o

Reason for asking is, if we can't do ours on Aus Day 2008 then we might wait until Aus Day 2009 BUT not if we dont actually become citizens until after the ceremony.

Wendy Oct 5th 2007 1:27 am

Re: citizenship ceremony question

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 5388485)
do you only become a citizen after you've had the ceremony, or does it happen before that and the ceremony is just kind of a celebration of it?

Reason for asking is, if we can't do ours on Aus Day 2008 then we might wait until Aus Day 2009 BUT not if we dont actually become citizens until after the ceremony.

As far as I know, you aren't citizens until after the ceremony

Centurion Oct 5th 2007 1:40 am

Your council would hold more than one a year. Just go to a different one.

bridie Oct 5th 2007 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 5388516)
Your council would hold more than one a year. Just go to a different one.

Yeah, I know but we wanted it to be "special" not just a random day... :o

Wendy Oct 5th 2007 1:44 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 5388518)

I know Australia Day is a special day, but there will be loads of people all becoming citizens on that day, whereas if you go for another day there won't be as many people.

Pro's and cons for both days really, but a smaller ceremony would be more special I feel. ;)

bridie Oct 5th 2007 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5388522)
I know Australia Day is a special day, but there will be loads of people all becoming citizens on that day, whereas if you go for another day there won't be as many people.

Pro's and cons for both days really, but a smaller ceremony would be more special I feel. ;)

yeah, maybe you have a point.... I am done thinking about it for now, it's doing my head in...!! :eek:

Vim Fuego Oct 5th 2007 2:20 am

I'm going to call in sick for mine.

bridie Oct 5th 2007 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5388564)
I'm going to call in sick for mine.

:lol:

JAJ Oct 5th 2007 4:02 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 5388485)

You become a citizen when you attend the ceremony and make the Pledge of Commitment to Australia. Not a moment before.

If you don't attend a ceremony within 12 months or so, your approval can be cancelled.

Wol Oct 5th 2007 4:47 am

Don't go on Australia day - it's a bear garden. We did ours at a small local ceremony and everyone had lots of time to talk over the drinks afterwards. Far nicer.

ELLJAY Oct 5th 2007 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5388723)
You become a citizen when you attend the ceremony and make the Pledge of Commitment to Australia. Not a moment before.

If you don't attend a ceremony within 12 months or so, your approval can be cancelled.

Can you apply for the forms and the "new" booklet BEFORE your 2 year mark - in preparation...then send them in after you've been here 2 years - or do you have to wait until you've passed the 2 year mark BEFORE you can even get the forms?

Thank-you, LJ

PS - our 2 years will be Feb 08

JAJ Oct 6th 2007 3:55 am

Originally Posted by ELLJAY (Post 5391112)
Can you apply for the forms and the "new" booklet BEFORE your 2 year mark - in preparation...then send them in after you've been here 2 years - or do you have to wait until you've passed the 2 year mark BEFORE you can even get the forms?

Thank-you, LJ

PS - our 2 years will be Feb 08

You can get the forms anytime you like by downloading from http://www.citizenship.gov.au but be careful as they do change regularly and you need to use the updated version.

As far as I know you can do the test before you reach the 2 year mark. You cannot make the application itself before you have the 2 years.

Vin 'n Bin Oct 6th 2007 4:11 am

Everyone is right, you become a Citizen after the ceremony, when you have taken the oath etc :). There is another way, I have known many people who have had it done (sounds like a vasectomy :eek:) privately. By that I mean just you and your family in a room ;)

itsonlyme Oct 6th 2007 7:46 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 5388518)

what about choosing the 'anniversay' date of when you first arrived in Oz?

OzWannabee Oct 6th 2007 7:57 am

Does anyone know how quickly it can be done? We have been here 2 years on 2nd Jan 2008 and need to get our citzenship before 8th March so my daughter can apply for HECS to go to Uni. What's the quickest way?

Thanks

Jo