Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

citizenship ceremony question

citizenship ceremony question

Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Question citizenship ceremony question

do you only become a citizen after you've had the ceremony, or does it happen before that and the ceremony is just kind of a celebration of it?

hope i'm making my question clear... difficult to word

Reason for asking is, if we can't do ours on Aus Day 2008 then we might wait until Aus Day 2009 BUT not if we dont actually become citizens until after the ceremony.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship ceremony question

Originally Posted by bridie
do you only become a citizen after you've had the ceremony, or does it happen before that and the ceremony is just kind of a celebration of it?

Reason for asking is, if we can't do ours on Aus Day 2008 then we might wait until Aus Day 2009 BUT not if we dont actually become citizens until after the ceremony.

As far as I know, you aren't citizens until after the ceremony
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:40 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Your council would hold more than one a year. Just go to a different one.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Your council would hold more than one a year. Just go to a different one.
Yeah, I know but we wanted it to be "special" not just a random day...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I know Australia Day is a special day, but there will be loads of people all becoming citizens on that day, whereas if you go for another day there won't be as many people.

Pro's and cons for both days really, but a smaller ceremony would be more special I feel.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
I know Australia Day is a special day, but there will be loads of people all becoming citizens on that day, whereas if you go for another day there won't be as many people.

Pro's and cons for both days really, but a smaller ceremony would be more special I feel.
yeah, maybe you have a point.... I am done thinking about it for now, it's doing my head in...!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:20 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to call in sick for mine.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I'm going to call in sick for mine.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You become a citizen when you attend the ceremony and make the Pledge of Commitment to Australia. Not a moment before.

If you don't attend a ceremony within 12 months or so, your approval can be cancelled.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go on Australia day - it's a bear garden. We did ours at a small local ceremony and everyone had lots of time to talk over the drinks afterwards. Far nicer.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You become a citizen when you attend the ceremony and make the Pledge of Commitment to Australia. Not a moment before.

If you don't attend a ceremony within 12 months or so, your approval can be cancelled.
Can you apply for the forms and the "new" booklet BEFORE your 2 year mark - in preparation...then send them in after you've been here 2 years - or do you have to wait until you've passed the 2 year mark BEFORE you can even get the forms?

Thank-you, LJ

PS - our 2 years will be Feb 08
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Can you apply for the forms and the "new" booklet BEFORE your 2 year mark - in preparation...then send them in after you've been here 2 years - or do you have to wait until you've passed the 2 year mark BEFORE you can even get the forms?

Thank-you, LJ

PS - our 2 years will be Feb 08
You can get the forms anytime you like by downloading from http://www.citizenship.gov.au but be careful as they do change regularly and you need to use the updated version.

As far as I know you can do the test before you reach the 2 year mark. You cannot make the application itself before you have the 2 years.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Everyone is right, you become a Citizen after the ceremony, when you have taken the oath etc . There is another way, I have known many people who have had it done (sounds like a vasectomy ) privately. By that I mean just you and your family in a room
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

itsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the rough

what about choosing the 'anniversay' date of when you first arrived in Oz?
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Does anyone know how quickly it can be done? We have been here 2 years on 2nd Jan 2008 and need to get our citzenship before 8th March so my daughter can apply for HECS to go to Uni. What's the quickest way?

Thanks

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.