Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship ceremony - no negative answers please!!

Citizenship ceremony - no negative answers please!!

Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:29 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship ceremony - no negative answers please!!

[quote=clougherty family;4566058]
Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
My Mum's got that Miele one and always says how good it is but I HATE the cutlery tray, it's such a pain putting them all in there individually.
Funny how we're all different - Mrs Wol swears by the cutlery drawer and wouldn't even consider any other make because of it!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:39 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say that? How did that happen? I like my cutlery tray.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
Weeel.....

I bought the top-of-the-range Miele, the one with the turbo head, and I have to say that it's one of the worst designed vacuums I've ever used. It cleans well but is a pig to handle. The hose is at least 12" too short, the handle is gross - almost unuseable when the crevice tool etc are fitted - the titchy wheels make it awkward to pull around, there is no soft brush with it, there are several strange joiners which don't appear to have any function, expensive onetimeuse bags with automatic closures.... I could go on!

Our Miele tumble dryer had to be exchanged after we'd had nothing but trouble with it for the first three months - the authorised Miele "engineer" knew next to nothing about the machine and even denied it had a diagnostic I/R port despite being shown it and the reference to it in the manual!

Electrolux have always been good machines.

Nooooooooooo! Confusearama now ... I think a fresh thread is in order ...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:03 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Nooooooooooo! Confusearama now ... I think a fresh thread is in order ...
It's your fault, you started it, now deal with it. Which one do want, a Miele, a Bosch or an Electrolux.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I have one here in Canada and I love it. I like to think of it as the only male who cleans up around the house (yes...I have actually given it a gender)!

I looked into this a while ago and you can get them in Australia.
http://www.roomba.com.au/index.html#

You can also get the new version that washes your floors. It's called the Scooba. I would love to get one of those too!
Bought one of those a few months ago...took it back and got a refund. It was very slow, I had to keep refilling/empying it, left the floor very wet...all in all it was over 2 hrs before I could walk on the kitchen floor. I bought it from Sharper Image...I noticed a few weeks ago they've stopped selling them...I wonder why.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Bought one of those a few months ago...took it back and got a refund. It was very slow, I had to keep refilling/empying it, left the floor very wet...all in all it was over 2 hrs before I could walk on the kitchen floor. I bought it from Sharper Image...I noticed a few weeks ago they've stopped selling them...I wonder why.
Thanks for the tip. I don't know of anyone who has one yet. Maybe that's why

I guess I'm just lazy enough not to vacuum all the time (myself that is). But I can handle the occassional floor washing
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:38 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi all,

I have managed to get interviews for our citizenship, mine on 17th May and OH on 11th June (he has been out of the country since we've been here). I am really pleased that we will still be here to do this, but here comes the problem. I phoned City of Perth and also City of Joondalup to see when the next ceremonies are and Perth said not until August and Joondalup said end of the year. What can we do? If we pay for the citizenship and have the interview, we are not citizens until attending a ceremony. If you don't attend one within 12mth then you have to reapply. I can't see us still being here by then, and if we sell the house we won't be able to put settlement off until these dates. Does anyone have any ideas/information for me??

Jo
Well, we have just had our citizenship ceremony today in Joondaloop, and there did seem to be a few spaces there for single people, so I would definitely enquire if I was you. There were 7 groups of people called up to take the oath (no, you dont have to know it off by heart beforehand) and in those 7 groups were a total of 75 people, that isnt a divisible number, consequently that means there would have been room for a couple of others. there were 5 groups of 11 and two groups of 10. The ceremony itself was excellent I have to say, not what I was expecting at all, we all thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Well, we have just had our citizenship ceremony today in Joondaloop, and there did seem to be a few spaces there for single people, so I would definitely enquire if I was you. There were 7 groups of people called up to take the oath (no, you dont have to know it off by heart beforehand) and in those 7 groups were a total of 75 people, that isnt a divisible number, consequently that means there would have been room for a couple of others. there were 5 groups of 11 and two groups of 10. The ceremony itself was excellent I have to say, not what I was expecting at all, we all thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks for the info.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most Middle Eastern countries refuse to let their citizens give up their citizenship even if they want to.

This causes problems for some Australians visiting their former countries as Australia cannot extend consular assistance to someone claimed as a citizen by that other country (when in that country).

Indonesia bans dual citizenship (so any Indonesians who become Australian lose their citizenship).

Have you any other examples in mind?
DENMARK. You have to give up your Danish passport if you want to become an Australian citizen. So says my Danish friend.
Old May 13th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I think this is also true for Indian citizens. An Indian friend of mine is entitled to become a UK citizen but hasn't as he isn't sure if he wants to lose his Indian passport.
Old May 13th 2007, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

cornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nicecornishoz is just really nice

I have managed to get interviews for our citizenship, mine on 17th May and OH on 11th June (he has been out of the country since we've been here). I am really pleased that we will still be here to do this, but here comes the problem. I phoned City of Perth and also City of Joondalup to see when the next ceremonies are and Perth said not until August and Joondalup said end of the year. What can we do? If we pay for the citizenship and have the interview, we are not citizens until attending a ceremony. If you don't attend one within 12mth then you have to reapply. I can't see us still being here by then, and if we sell the house we won't be able to put settlement off until these dates. Does anyone have any ideas/information for me??

Jo
we just rang our local mayors office in south coast nsw and said we didnt want a big ceromony and they said just come in and the mayor will do it as a one off . we had our citizenship within 10 days of being notified.i know things are scaled up in perth but perhaps they can be flexible according to circumstances. or maybe there are more benefits to living in a quiet rural area apart from the slower pace of life, great fishing, beaches etc
Old May 13th 2007, 1:48 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by cornishoz
we just rang our local mayors office in south coast nsw and said we didnt want a big ceromony and they said just come in and the mayor will do it as a one off . we had our citizenship within 10 days of being notified.i know things are scaled up in perth but perhaps they can be flexible according to circumstances. or maybe there are more benefits to living in a quiet rural area apart from the slower pace of life, great fishing, beaches etc
Hi, The Clougherty family have gone home now, but thanks for your answer. Things are done very differently in the more rural areas. I worked in the dept. which dealt with citizenships here where the Cloughertys lived and they are big ceremonies.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:13 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.
Did you ever manage to get to your citizenship ceremony?

Are you still happy back in the UK?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Did you ever manage to get to your citizenship ceremony?

Are you still happy back in the UK?
Hi,

No we didn't get it. It would have cost us a lot of money to stay in Perth whilst waiting for a date and after weighing it all up we decided not to bother. We are very happy back here, feels like we never left. A couple of things occured to me over the weekend, I have started reading the newspaper here which I never did the whole time we were there and every morning when I get up I turn the radio on, another thing I just realised I never did. I have the radio on Heart 106.2 all day in my kitchen and it's because there is good music on!! It suits some people to live in Perth, but now I'm back I can categorically say, it wasn't for us. I had worries before we came back because obviously we didn't want to make the wrong choice, but I have absolutely no regrets now about coming back.

Jo
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:53 am
'In limboland'

Hi,

No we didn't get it. It would have cost us a lot of money to stay in Perth whilst waiting for a date and after weighing it all up we decided not to bother. We are very happy back here, feels like we never left. A couple of things occured to me over the weekend, I have started reading the newspaper here which I never did the whole time we were there and every morning when I get up I turn the radio on, another thing I just realised I never did. I have the radio on Heart 106.2 all day in my kitchen and it's because there is good music on!! It suits some people to live in Perth, but now I'm back I can categorically say, it wasn't for us. I had worries before we came back because obviously we didn't want to make the wrong choice, but I have absolutely no regrets now about coming back.

Jo
That's good to hear Jo and good luck to you all. Did you buy that house you showed us?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.