Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship ceremony

Citizenship ceremony

Old Dec 8th 2003, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice
Default Citizenship ceremony

Just heard this arvo, my and the kids Citizenship ceremony will be on 6 January! Now I can have that blue Passport! Will post piccies when I get them!
Happy Xmas to you all!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 6:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Great news & congratulations invicta
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:48 am
Goodpubmisser

I used a simple excuse to get out of having to attend a citizenship ceromony. I will leave you to work your own out.

I remember I went to see the Mayor of the suburb that I lived in at the time to get my papers signed. He picked up the speech card, frowned at it and said "There is no point in getting you to swear allegance to the Queen is there - she's British?". I said "Not really" and he said "Right - here you go".

All done in 5 mins which was good as I thought that the whole thing was a waste of time - a bit like cheering at the Queen in Britain!

Last edited by Goodpubmisser; Dec 8th 2003 at 9:53 am.

Old Dec 8th 2003, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great news. I can't wait to join you and do this myself!!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Citizenship ceremony

i dont understand this, is this where after 2? years you get to ditch the brisitsh passport and become a proper ozzie?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:47 pm
Badge

<small voice>

er, can I have mine now?

<small voice end>

Badge

Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by vickymills
i dont understand this, is this where after 2? years you get to ditch the brisitsh passport and become a proper ozzie?
You don't have to ditch the British one, but yeah.

Apparently they give you a tree to plant.
Allegedly it usually dies.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

We got four plants ................ they ALL died!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by invictia
Just heard this arvo, my and the kids Citizenship ceremony will be on 6 January! Now I can have that blue Passport! Will post piccies when I get them!
Happy Xmas to you all!
congrats

happy christmas

hey,how about giving us a brief history of your time(2yrs?)in oz.

cheers
Old Dec 8th 2003, 10:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the rough timeline for citizenship, what is the interview like and can you travel mid process?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:01 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
What is the rough timeline for citizenship, what is the interview like and can you travel mid process?
Time frame from applying to the interview can be anything from a couple of weeks. I applied about two weeks back (online), I've got an interview in Jan, which is a bit of a longer wait than usual (apparently). Reason for the wait, my particular area does not conduct interviews in December.

My interview is in a local post office. Apparently, all the interview is about is just a few questions to prove you are who you say you are (someone answered my question on this a couple of weeks back).

Travelling... If you leave the country in mid process, you must inform them.

cheers
P.S
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=192310

I've copied Andy's reply/ answer about his experience from the thread above for you:

Hi Ceri,

The citizenship 'thing' is very easy.

We were told it would take about 2 months from lodging the application to the swearing in ceremony. In reality, if my memory is correct, it went something like this:

1) Filled in forms at home
2) Arranged interview (took about 1 week) and lodged application in person in Ann Street, Brisbane at the same time. It was very relaxed - he asked us questions about the details we had put in the application form, just to confirm what we had wrote. He didn't ask us about the priveledges and responsibilities, but did ask us to nominate the pledge we wanted to use. After the official questions, he made a few very lame jokes, and told us the next ceremony would in 5 weeks time. We couldn't make that one (close to the delivery date of 2nd child), and so had to arrange to go to the following ceremony which was further 3 months on. So if we hadn't delayed it would have taken about 6 weeks - but for us it was about 4 months - start to finish.
3) About 3 weeks later after the interview we got the official letter that the decision had been positive and that we would be attending the (2nd ceremony).

The ceremony in the Bris City Hall was a typical civic affair - a few stirring stories from new citizens about what made them want to become Australians - a few *yawn* speeches from a local and federal politician about how wondeful it was to be an Australian - and then we all got up and said the pledge of commitment and was given the certificate of citizenship (handed to us in our seats). It was refreshinly very multicultural too. Afterwards chatted to fellow immos - popped around the corner for cofee, then a couple of drinks.

Altogether a very, very painless deal.

The paperwork was the hardest bit.

Good luck,
AndyH.

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 9th 2003 at 3:55 am.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

I came in on a spouse visa in September 1999, I only had a 2 year temp visa and got PR status 24 April 2001. I applied over the internet in April 2003, got interview in June, got approval in September, moved house and area in October and then phone call for Ceremony.
Seems fairly painless, taking 2 hours off of work on the day! Not really celebrating, haven't time on the day.
Will keep you posted.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Anyone suggest convincing excuses for not going?

I suspect though, that I might get all teary and sentimental and actually look foward to it