Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship on Baby born in Oz?

Citizenship on Baby born in Oz?

Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Citizenship on Baby born in Oz?

Hi all,

Well it looks like the Mrs may "have bun in oven" :scared: . We assume the baby would automatically have Australian citizenship being born here, but can it have British citizenship too (as we obviously are)????
Otherwise it could be "interesting" entering the UK in the future??
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:12 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship on Baby born in Oz?

Depends what type of visa you hold 65M.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi Bix,

We both have permanent residency visa's.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Firstly congratulations Ezekiel was born here in Oz. We have been advised to fill a form in proving his Oz citizenship and also to get a British passport for him ASAP to claim his British citizenship.

HTH
Katie
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I think Katie is right......you'll have a dual national
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Katie and Bix , that's great. I was hoping it would be something like that.

My wife did not have any maternal feelings at all whilst in England, that rapidly changed when we settled in Mornington.

Cheers muchly,
65KK
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by 65 million
Hi all,

Well it looks like the Mrs may "have bun in oven" :scared: . We assume the baby would automatically have Australian citizenship being born here, but can it have British citizenship too (as we obviously are)????
Are you a permanent resident?

I believe (and I am sure Jeremy will correct me if I am wrong) that if you are not and are only on temporary the baby is not entitled automatically to citizenship. Yes they will be British (because you are), but I would assume that like Australia you have to register their citizenship and not just assume that it is valid.

If you are permanent having two citizenships is not a problem.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:54 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Hello,

Congratulations on the pregnancy.

If born here, your child will be Australian and British by decent. The 'by decent' thing just means that they can't pass on their britishness to their children (unless they (the grandchild) get it some other way (e.g. being born in the UK or the other parent is British otherwise than by decent)).

They will be able to apply for a passport at any time. You do not need to apply for one immediately. They only reason for doing this is that if they decide to apply when they are (say) 20 then they will probably have to get hold of your credentials (e.g. passport, birth certificate,...) to apply.

Regards
Al
Old Sep 27th 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

Congratulations. I'm in Mornington, and also pregnant so if your 'Mrs" needs any advice on the medical process so far then just holler. I'm due on Australia Day! I understand that I'll have to get a british passport sorted for the baby - especially as I plan to fly back to the UK before it is 6 months old.

Does anyone know where I apply for the UK passport? Do I have to get in touch with the UK passport office or can I do it via the embassy over here?

Sorry to jump on your thread! Good luck with pregnancy. Hope she doesn't suffer with sickness too much.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Troood
Congratulations. I'm in Mornington, and also pregnant so if your 'Mrs" needs any advice on the medical process so far then just holler. I'm due on Australia Day! I understand that I'll have to get a british passport sorted for the baby - especially as I plan to fly back to the UK before it is 6 months old.

Does anyone know where I apply for the UK passport? Do I have to get in touch with the UK passport office or can I do it via the embassy over here?

Sorry to jump on your thread! Good luck with pregnancy. Hope she doesn't suffer with sickness too much.
Via the UK embassey. Download the forms via the internet as phoning the UK embassey is a rip off. You need acrobat reader to do it.

Katie
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:07 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Troood

Hello,

Congratulations on the pregnancy.

If your kid becomes an Aussie (because you are PR) then you will need to have an Aussie passport. This is because s/he will not be able to get a visa to go into her UK passport. If you are going for a short trip then you don't need to get a UK passport; you will only need this for convenience (so you can go through the EU channel).

A
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Never assume anything about citizenship until your child has an individual passport or citizenship certificate.

Baby will be automatically Australian if you have PR. It's a very good idea to get a citizenship cert as the birth certificate proves nothing about nationality (for those born after 19 August 1986), and passports expire or get lost.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf

Most children born to British parents in Australia are automatically British, however there are exceptions. Apply for a British passport as soon as possible as if your child happens to be an exception there will be a time limit to sort it out with a registration application.

Jeremy