Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Application Refused?

Citizenship Application Refused?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Application Refused?

Originally Posted by smurtaza
To get an exemption is a different thing then application refusal.More than 80% people have failed the citizenship test currently so they will face application refusal or exemption termed as significant hardship***
What's the point in having a citzenship test if people can get exemptions?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:21 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Citizenship Application Refused?

Originally Posted by esperanza
What's the point in having a citzenship test if people can get exemptions?
Every applicant must appear for the citizenship test even if he had suffered significant hardships****
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Every applicant must appear for the citizenship test even if he had suffered significant hardships****
So if you have "suffered significant hardships****" then it doesn't matter if you fail the test? Does this apply to a lot of applicants then?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:45 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Citizenship Application Refused?

Originally Posted by esperanza
So if you have "suffered significant hardships****" then it doesn't matter if you fail the test? Does this apply to a lot of applicants then?
There is no citizenship test exemption for the people who apply for citizenship in hardship*** category.The application will be refused.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

sundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant future

Can I just butt in here and ask a Q please?

What are the benefits of Citizenship, apart from being able to vote?

And do many people just not worry about applying for it at all?

Thanks. Jo.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

To get an exemption is a different thing then application refusal.More than 80% people have failed the citizenship test currently so they will face application refusal or exemption termed as significant hardship***
Where do you get that figure from?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Where do you get that figure from?
I'm sure I read from someone on here that the figure was high but I'm dubious. Obviously you can't assume anything but going by the people on here who've done it and passed easily then I would suggest that maybe the people failing don't have English as a first language and who have done no homework beforehand. Still don't believe those figures though.

Smurtaza, I am at a loss to understand many of the questions you ask. They are fairly bizarre and we never get the background as to why you are asking. I'm sure if we had more information then both us (the amateurs) and the JAJs of this world would be able to help you more. Maybe you want to keep your private life private which is fine but you really need to ask them of a registered agent.

On the other hand, maybe you are just attempting humour and are in wind up mode
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:48 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I find the questions odd too. To me it just looks like the OP wants citizenship handed to him on a silver platter!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Given the fact that every second post is bitching about how crap Australia is, I can't believe the OP wants citizenship!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

I was refused citizenship when I applied. I had over 2 years PR and was of good character. They refused because I hadn't completed a business survey that holders of business class visas are required to fill in after they have held the visa for 3 years. The fact that this survey wasn't a requirement for citizenship and that I could just fill in random answers and still get citizenship fell on deaf ears.

Once the 3 years passed I was granted citizenship and attended the ceremony 363 days ago.

Mike.
P.S. The wife and kids were eligible even though I wasn't.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sundropstar
Can I just butt in here and ask a Q please?

What are the benefits of Citizenship, apart from being able to vote?

And do many people just not worry about applying for it at all?

Thanks. Jo.
If you don't get citizenship you don't get an Aussie passport. And once your permanent residency visa expires you can't re-enter Australia if you leave(without first getting a returning residents visa BEFORE you leave). But you are ok as long as you stay in Australia.

To put it another way, your permanent residency expires, someone in the family is at deaths door back in the Uk so you fly back to see them. In that case, you can't re-enter Australia.

It happens...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:44 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyclemark
And once your permanent residency visa expires you can't re-enter Australia if you leave(without first getting a returning residents visa BEFORE you leave). But you are ok as long as you stay in Australia.
Rubbish, you can apply for a RRV offshore
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Rubbish, you can apply for a RRV offshore
Sorry, I stand corrected. Rules must have changed since I last looked at this.
But it is recommended to apply for a RRV before leaving Australia. Or so it says here Doesn't really say why though.

Makes economic sense to become a citizen though. Otherwise you have to shell out 120 bucks every time you need a new RRV !
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

As a citizen you are able to take out a student loan, should you go back to uni at any point.
Also you are eligible for benefits etc that you may not be as a non-citizen, depending on your status.
As a citizen you could go back to UK for ten years and still retire to Oz no questions asked as you would not need a new visa or anything.
You could also go back to UK, and never return, but your kids could have the freedom to live in Oz when they grew up.

As far as I can tell the only down side is having to vote, which isn't really a big deal in my opinion! Of course it could change in the future and they might bring in conscription or something, there's no way to be 100% sure.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

More than 80% people have failed the citizenship test currently so they will face application refusal or exemption termed as significant hardship***
That's rubbish. Your figures are the wrong way round.

80% of people PASS the test ....http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaust...ailures_537206

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.