Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship (again)

Citizenship (again)

Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough
Default Citizenship (again)

I will be applying for citizenship towards the end of August 07. Is it possible that i will be able to have the ceremony this coming Australia Day 08 or is the process time frame a little longer than that?

Only asking because the old folks what to plan their visit out here so that it coincides with the ceremony.

cheers for any advice
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship (again)

Originally Posted by Goodwin
I will be applying for citizenship towards the end of August 07. Is it possible that i will be able to have the ceremony this coming Australia Day 08 or is the process time frame a little longer than that?

Only asking because the old folks what to plan their visit out here so that it coincides with the ceremony.
It's possible. Not definite. Ask at your citizenship interview.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:17 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Goodwin

cheers for any advice
we went for our citizenship interview towards the end of Aug last year and we managed JUST to get our ceremony on Australia Day this year(this was after sending a nice letter to the citizenship people and stating that we were desperate for our ceremony on that day...they were fantastic...a week after I sent the letter my CO phoned me up and told me she was processing my app there and then...she chatted to me for a while and said thats it off you go down to the council and ask them to put you in for that date and tell them the official documents are in the post) They were superb, got a phone call two days later to make sure that I had received my letter, and asked it I had any hassles with the council, two days later the head of the department phoned me up to say he had contacted the council to make sure they had my paperwork...lol good service or what.

Once you have done your interview you can contact your local council who does the ceremony and ask if they can pencil you in for the ceremony.

From now on Australia Day will be a very very special day for us...just like it was this year when we became citizens...its was an awesome, emotional day.

Good Luck with it
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by biggy
we went for our citizenship interview towards the end of Aug last year and we managed JUST to get our ceremony on Australia Day this year(this was after sending a nice letter to the citizenship people and stating that we were desperate for our ceremony on that day...they were fantastic...a week after I sent the letter my CO phoned me up and told me she was processing my app there and then...she chatted to me for a while and said thats it off you go down to the council and ask them to put you in for that date and tell them the official documents are in the post) They were superb, got a phone call two days later to make sure that I had received my letter, and asked it I had any hassles with the council, two days later the head of the department phoned me up to say he had contacted the council to make sure they had my paperwork...lol good service or what.

Once you have done your interview you can contact your local council who does the ceremony and ask if they can pencil you in for the ceremony.

From now on Australia Day will be a very very special day for us...just like it was this year when we became citizens...its was an awesome, emotional day.

Good Luck with it
only a quick one - when we eventually manage to get the citizenship (going to be 4 years now i think rather than 2 but thats a moot point and I dont think that we will know that until the challenge in court is decided) - what happens to the kiddies - do they take the ceremony or do they get it automatically (ours will be under 6)
cheers
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chmaiden
only a quick one - when we eventually manage to get the citizenship (going to be 4 years now i think rather than 2 but thats a moot point and I dont think that we will know that until the challenge in court is decided)
What court challenge????

If you became a permanent resident before 1 July, then it's still 2 years provided you apply before 30 June 2010.

- what happens to the kiddies - do they take the ceremony or do they get it automatically (ours will be under 6)
cheers
Children aged under 16 do not need to attend the ceremony (but can do if they wish). Nothing is automatic - they get citizenship if and when the reponsible parent attends a ceremony. Not before.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

apparently there someone is challenging in court the citizenship change rules - my visa agent told me that whoever is challenging it is in the same position as me - visa granted but not validated before july 1 (in fact he got a bit stroppy with me telling me that a challenge in court is the only definitive answer to the situation)

thanks re ceremony - i did mean that they get it automatically if the parents are going through with it
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:32 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We were hoping to get it for Oz Day but didn't - and were glad we didn't. We were "done" at a small ceremony locally, drinks after and much friendlier than the big gatherings we've seen on Oz day. So don't be disappointed!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:45 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
We were hoping to get it for Oz Day but didn't - and were glad we didn't. We were "done" at a small ceremony locally, drinks after and much friendlier than the big gatherings we've seen on Oz day. So don't be disappointed!
depends where u r I spose, and what ya want ....there were 19 others on Oz Day..........we had our ceremony infront of the whole town....bloody hell amazed at how many people knew us.........then it was morning tea with the mayor and up to ours for a huge party....twas awesome....but I spose its what the individual wants....for us we wanted to shout out loud WE WERE AUSSIES