Citizenship ?

Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of
Default Citizenship ?

Having lived in Perth for the last 21 months i have returned to Scotland to try life here again. I have a 136 visa and this was granted in 2006.
If i decide to return to Australia before my visa expires would the new rules apply for gaining citizenship, meaning i have to be living in Oz for 4 years as opposed to 2 years when my visa was granted ?

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship ?

If you cannot meet the old rules and apply before 30 June 2010, it will be the new rules.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship ?

Originally Posted by lang81
Having lived in Perth for the last 21 months i have returned to Scotland to try life here again. I have a 136 visa and this was granted in 2006.
If i decide to return to Australia before my visa expires would the new rules apply for gaining citizenship, meaning i have to be living in Oz for 4 years as opposed to 2 years when my visa was granted ?

Thanks for any help.
Depends when you get back really.

To apply for citizenship under the old rules you must have become a permanent residents before 1 July 2007 and apply before 30 June 2010 and been physically present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the five years before applying, including one year in the two years before applying.

If you don't apply for citizenship before 30th June 2010 you will need 4 years regardless. See the citizenship website for full details: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...gibility.htm#b