citizenship

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

hello_cmc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default citizenship

I was granted PR in Aug 2004 but due to personal reasons( got married,had a baby etc) , we have not been able to move to Australia till now . We plan to move in March 2009. Will we be able to file for citizenship after 4 years of residency ( say we apply in 2013 )? or we are disqualified because of extended absence
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:03 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship

Originally Posted by hello_cmc
I was granted PR in Aug 2004 but due to personal reasons( got married,had a baby etc) , we have not been able to move to Australia till now . We plan to move in March 2009. Will we be able to file for citizenship after 4 years of residency ( say we apply in 2013 )? or we are disqualified because of extended absence
you might get a better answer to this in the immigration forum, but seeing as you have PR and 5 yrs to enter on your visa, I can't see why not.

you will have to be in the country for 4 yrs, if you leave for holidays etc then that time needs to be made up.

for example at present we can apply for citizenship early march 09 but because we are going back to the UK for a few weeks it will move it on to April before we can apply.

check out the Gov website

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:35 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship

Originally Posted by hello_cmc
Yes the 4 year rule will definitely apply to you. Even if you had validated your visa prior to Jul 07, you'd still need to apply before July 2010, if you wanted to go under the old 2 year rule, but at that time you wont meet the residence requirements.

Your absence is not a problem. But bear in mind once you enter Australia you will only be able to travel freely in and out until Aug 2009. After that you will not be able to re-enter the country without applying for a resident return visa.