British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/citizenship-316189/)

flapsterhp Jul 26th 2005 4:58 pm

Citizenship

Just out of interest (being a bit ahead of myself here as we aren't even in Oz yet) what is the procedure for citizenship, I know the 2 year bit, but what do you actually have to do. Andy

JAJ Jul 26th 2005 10:35 pm

Re: Citizenship

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
Just out of interest (being a bit ahead of myself here as we aren't even in Oz yet) what is the procedure for citizenship, I know the 2 year bit, but what do you actually have to do. Andy

Visit http://www.citizenship.gov.au
Basically you apply, have an interview and then go to a ceremony.

Jeremy

lawlaw Jul 27th 2005 9:20 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

Yes particulary love the citizenship quilt :D

wargod Jul 27th 2005 9:26 am

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Yes particulary love the citizenship quilt :D

I'll give a fiver if someone does a 'square' of the English winning the Rugby world cup :D:D

lawlaw Jul 27th 2005 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by wargod
I'll give a fiver if someone does a 'square' of the English winning the Rugby world cup :D:D

In the words of mastercard that would be PRICELESS

Shellfish Jul 28th 2005 12:31 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Wrt dual citizenship, I have heard from some people that if you have dual citizenship but choose to travel overseas on your other passport (i.e. go the Europe on your british passport) and something happens and you need assistance, because you didn't use your Australian passport that the Australian government won't help you, do you know if this is true?

JAJ Jul 28th 2005 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Hi Jeremy

Wrt dual citizenship, I have heard from some people that if you have dual citizenship but choose to travel overseas on your other passport (i.e. go the Europe on your british passport) and something happens and you need assistance, because you didn't use your Australian passport that the Australian government won't help you, do you know if this is true?

If you are a dual UK/Australia citizen then you cannot get British consular assistance in Australia, or vice versa.

At least the UK government is not obliged to give Australia consular access to a dual UK/Australia citizen, it may of course choose to do so.

This is in line with an international convention going back to the 1930s.

That said, the British authorities are reluctant to give consular assistance to long-time resident British citizens in countries like Australia or NZ, so you've little to lose in this respect by taking out citizenship.

In a third country, you will usually be regarded by the authorities of that country as a national of the country whose passport you used to enter.

Jeremy

Shellfish Jul 28th 2005 12:44 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are a dual UK/Australia citizen then you cannot get British consular assistance in Australia, or vice versa.

At least the UK government is not obliged to give Australia consular access to a dual UK/Australia citizen, it may of course choose to do so.

This is in line with an international convention going back to the 1930s.

That said, the British authorities are reluctant to give consular assistance to long-time resident British citizens in countries like Australia or NZ, so you've little to lose in this respect by taking out citizenship.

In a third country, you will usually be regarded by the authorities of that country as a national of the country whose passport you used to enter.

Jeremy

Kangablue Jul 28th 2005 1:46 am

If you become an Australian citizen (or dual UK citizen), is there any danger that you could lose your entitlement to a British pension?

JAJ Jul 28th 2005 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Kangablue
If you become an Australian citizen (or dual UK citizen), is there any danger that you could lose your entitlement to a British pension?

The British High Commission in Canberra issued a press release in 2003 addressing some concerns raised about citizenship issues. Note 4 is instructive in relation to the specific question asked.
http://bhc.britaus.net/News/newsdefault.asp?id=191

--------------
British High Commission release: 28 August 2003

The Australian Government is encouraging long-term residents of the country to apply for citizenship in the lead-up to the Australian Citizenship Day on 17 September, and has made a specific appeal to British long-term residents.

British High Commissioner Sir Alastair Goodlad said that many British nationals had sought clarification of the impact upon their UK citizenship of acquiring Australian citizenship.

"The UK Government has no objection to British citizens holding another nationality. A person's British citizenship would not be affected should he or she acquire Australian citizenship," Sir Alastair said.

Notes to Editors:

The following information is provided as guidance only.

1. The Australian Government's citizenship website states: "Australia does not require you to renounce your citizenship when you become an Australian citizen. Whether you lose your former citizenship when you become an Australian citizen (depends) … upon the citizenship laws of the other country." (www.citizenship.gov.au)

2. The Home Office in the UK states: "In general there is no restriction, in UK law, on a British national being a citizen of another country as well. So, if you get another nationality, you will not lose your British nationality." However, there are special rules for British protected persons, and certain British subjects, and they should check with the Home Office. (www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk)

3. In consular matters British citizens who are long-term residents of Australia are already, under long-standing convention, treated de facto as citizens of Australia. UK missions in Australia do not, therefore, normally provide consular assistance to long-term British residents. Dual nationals travelling outside their countries of nationality would be expected to turn to the mission of the country of the passport on which they traveled should they need consular assistance.

4. Acquisition of Australian citizenship by a long-term resident should not affect that person's entitlement to UK pension or other government payments.

---------------

An additional point to this is that a person who is a British Overseas citizen and who has no other nationality (and is an Australian permanent resident) should make a point of taking British citizenship under section 4B of the British Nationality Act 1981 *before* acquiring Australian citizenship.

If Australian citizenship is obtained first, entitlement to British citizenship is lost. However British citizenship acquired under s4B is not lost on subsequent acquisition of British citizenship.

There will be few British Overseas citizens on this forum - if you're not sure, check the ID page of your British passport and see what it says in the Nationality section.

Jeremy