Citizenship

Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:27 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Citizenship

After we get our PR visa what is the criteria required to obtain Australian Citizenship with an Aussie passport? Does anyone know, and does leaving Australia for long holidays etc. in the first 2 years affect this? Appreciate any info.

Regards

Slater
Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:31 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship

I believe you need to have stayed onshore for a period of 2 years out of the 5 in order to quality for citizenship.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:41 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Don't you need to change your name to Bruce or Charlene too ?
Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:41 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

And yes.....its 2 out of the past 5 years
Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:43 pm
Badge

and they count it by the DAY....

I plan on being first in the queue after 2 years...they'll be no stopping me.

"thank you very much"

Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Get in the queue badgers, I might make it just before you!
First one to the passport buys the beer!!!
Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:54 pm
A Male Member

When do you guys move?

Im going out on 30th november......will i beat ya both to the ickle blue book?

I take it i can retain my brit passport? No way im giving the red book up....
Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:59 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I arrive November 2nd!
However, as I can't start counting until after the scary event of the Wedding - and thats in January, & then I have to wait to get PR after that, so even though i'll be there first you two ought to beat me to the passport. I shall just sit back and enjoy the beer!

And no, you don't have to give up the red one, you just get a blue one to go with it.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 1:15 pm
Badge

It'll be bizarre having 2 passports!! - I'll keep the UK one for tourist trips where us Brits get entry and for Eurozone. I wonder if you get a set of steak knives or a alarm clock radio as well!! Got to learn aussie anthem:

I went to lots of Rotary Meetings with my cousin and I was embarassed to not know beyond the first 2 lines and the occasional word...

well : what with probs with my flat sell - too boring and stressful to share on expats - could be as late as next year......

or if things went perfectly - next month!!!

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 1st 2003 at 1:17 pm.

Old Aug 1st 2003, 1:21 pm
Home and Happy

While I'm ashamed to admit that I only know the words to the first verse of the English National Anthem, I know all the words to Advance Australia Fair - which I'm told is more than a lot of Aussies do?
and if you meant the alternative anthem, I know Waltzing Matilda as well!

I was hoping that would give out a free cuddly toy with the new passport? What do you think the chances are?!!
Old Aug 1st 2003, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I heard they give you a free stuffed Kanga!! Or was it a Koala?

I won't beat you to it, but we will be taking over the queue with our clan once the 2 years are up. Hopefully we won't be desparate to come back after we have it!

That is if I ever actually get a viewer for my house. 3 weeks and the agents haven't sent 1 person round yet - what is going on?
Old Aug 1st 2003, 2:28 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
However, as I can't start counting until after the scary event of the Wedding - and thats in January, & then I have to wait to get PR after that, so even though i'll be there first you two ought to beat me to the passport. I shall just sit back and enjoy the beer!
Pollyana,

If you are arriving on a fiancee visa and get married, you will be granted a spouse (provisional) visa which is a temporary visa for 2 years. The time you spend on your spouse (provisional) visa does not count for time clocked towards your citizenship application as it's not on a permanent visa. So you're looking at potentially a minumum of 2 years on the provisional visa and another 2 on the permanent spouse visa. That's not including time spent on your fiancee visa (also not counted) and any travelling time outside of Australia.

Peter
Old Aug 1st 2003, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't planning to get citizenship because I thought it meant you lost your British one. Can you hold two passports? I thought some ruling was brought in last year...
Old Aug 1st 2003, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

Yes, thanks for clarifying that Peter, I know I can't count the time on the temp visa, thats why I said I have to wait to get PR. but I guess I wasn't very clear, was I! I had to type it fast as the boss was approaching!
Hopefully I shall only spend a few weeks over the whole five years outside of Oz - I shall visit the UK, but not for long.

I'd be grateful if you could clarify something else for me though - once I have the temporary visa (stage 2), do I then have to apply off my own bat for the third stage (PR) or do "they" contact me when I've bene in Oz long enough? Also, I heard somewhere that in certain circumstances you don't have to wait the full 2 years after the marriage to get PR? Is that right, and if so what are the circumstances?
Old Aug 1st 2003, 3:35 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by badgersmount
and they count it by the DAY....

I plan on being first in the queue after 2 years...they'll be no stopping me.

"thank you very much"

So, if we arrive say Ist November this year, we can apply for Citizenship after Ist November 2005, if we have spent say 4 weeks outside Australia during that time just add makes 29th November 2005?

Slater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.