citizenship

Old Feb 27th 2002, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

shaunlor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default citizenship

please help im now very confused and this is probably my last chance.
i want to apply for citizenship by decent, my father and his parents born and bred in aus, i however was born in england 1962 and never regesterd , my dad returned to aus in 1964 leaving me in cold england with my mum,
i have visited my aus family on a few occasions.
my question is as i am visiting my dad in victoria in 2 weeks time on a 3 month visitors visa
should i apply for citizenship over there or get my documents off over here, im in aus for 6 weeks, but would extend that if i needed too. i have all the docs i need except police check this was sent for 6 weeks ago and im told by my local police station should arrive any day fingers crossed.
i have full birth cert, and my fathers birth cert so as soon as police check arrives i shall organise the copies.
any ideas out there im tearing what little hair out i have trying to decide the quickest or best way to do this
greatfully shaun
Old Feb 28th 2002, 9:25 am
Jaj

Default Re: citizenship

As you were born between 26 Jan 1949 and 15 Jan 1974, you should still be able to
register as an Australian citizen. I presume you've looked at form 118:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/118.pdf

You should count on a processing time of up to 6 months, as the application will need
to be done in Canberra (this is the case for citizenship by descent claims for those
born in 1974 or previous). It doesn't matter where you are at the time of approval

I'm not sure why you say this is your 'last chance' - to my knowledge the forthcoming
Australian citizenship legislation won't change your position. Although you are
supposed to register as a citizen as soon as you know it's possible, anyway.

Jeremy

>On 27 Feb 2002 18:23:56 -0600, shaunlor <[email protected]> wrote:

>please help im now very confused and this is probably my last chance. i want to
    >apply for citizenship by decent, my father and his parents born and bred in aus, i
    >however was born in england 1962 and never regesterd , my dad returned to aus in
    >1964 leaving me in cold england with my mum, i have visited my aus family on a few
    >occasions. my question is as i am visiting my dad in victoria in 2 weeks time on a 3
    >month visitors visa should i apply for citizenship over there or get my documents
    >off over here, im in aus for 6 weeks, but would extend that if i needed too. i have
    >all the docs i need except police check this was sent for 6 weeks ago and im told by
    >my local police station should arrive any day fingers crossed. i have full birth
    >cert, and my fathers birth cert so as soon as police check arrives i shall organise
    >the copies. any ideas out there im tearing what little hair out i have trying to
    >decide the quickest or best way to do this greatfully shaun
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 28th 2002, 10:30 am
Just Joined

shaunlor is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry if i confused you with the last chance bit .
i meant if i was going to apply before my trip commenced i needed to get things sent off, or bring it with me and wasent sure wether that was an option .
thanks for your help
shaun
Old Feb 28th 2002, 10:32 pm
Jaj

It's best to apply as soon as possible. Sooner you apply, the sooner you get
it. Jeremy

>On 28 Feb 2002 07:23:16 -0600, shaunlor <[email protected]> wrote:

>sorry if i confused you with the last chance bit . i meant if i was going to apply
    >before my trip commenced i needed to get things sent off, or bring it with me and
    >wasent sure wether that was an option . thanks for your help shaun
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com