Citizen Vs PR

Old Apr 19th 2009, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Citizen Vs PR

What privileges do Aus Citizens enjoy as compared to PRs...

1. Do citizens pay less fee in schools, colleges, etc as compared to PRs? In every school or some kind of schools...

2. Do citizens have any edge upon PRs when it comes to medical benefits?

3. Government jobs, purchasing property -any difference here?

4. Any other area you would like to highlight where being a citizen is a privilege?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizen Vs PR

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
What privileges do Aus Citizens enjoy as compared to PRs...

1. Do citizens pay less fee in schools, colleges, etc as compared to PRs? In every school or some kind of schools...
Certainly not in State schools. May have more access to grants/loans for higher education though
2. Do citizens have any edge upon PRs when it comes to medical benefits?
No, PR makes you eligible for full Medicare benefits.

3. Government jobs, purchasing property -any difference here?
Some State, and all Federal Govt jobs are only available to citizens.

4. Any other area you would like to highlight where being a citizen is a privilege?
No need for a RRV if you leave the country after your initial PR visa expires, As a citizen you can leave and will always be able to return, should you wish to do so.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some State, and all Federal Govt jobs are only available to citizens.
I work in Federal government and only have PR. But defence, ASIO & maybe some others do have this requirement.

Other differences I am aware of as a citizen compared to PR:-

1. Allowed (and obliged) to vote.
2. Cannot transfer Super out of Australia if decide to return to other country.
3. Must travel in/out of Australia on Australian passport.
4. No need for residents return visa.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Citizens get HECS (uni loans) to see you through. With PR you have to pay lots and lots of dosh for higher ed.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I work in Federal government and only have PR. But defence, ASIO & maybe some others do have this requirement.

Other differences I am aware of as a citizen compared to PR:-

1. Allowed (and obliged) to vote.
3. Must travel in/out of Australia on Australian passport.
4. No need for residents return visa.
Cor, you lucky thing! Very very few Fed jobs (as you will know) will take people without citizenship or at least eligibility. DIAC, Customs, AFP etc all need citizenship to work there.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:43 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I thought you could only transfer your super out if you were on a 457 visa? I might be wrong about this but I thought once you became a PR your super was effectively locked in the country? Or is there a way around this that I'm not aware of?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by comet555
I thought you could only transfer your super out if you were on a 457 visa? I might be wrong about this but I thought once you became a PR your super was effectively locked in the country? Or is there a way around this that I'm not aware of?
I think you're right. 457 only.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Discussed in:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...an_Citizenship
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by comet555
Ive got PR, and I took my super, got my money and went back to the UK!

Bluekipper
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Ive got PR, and I took my super, got my money and went back to the UK!
It may have been given to you illegally and it doesn't mean the same mistake will happen to others:
http://www.ato.gov.au/superfunds/con...tent/22055.htm
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
It may have been given to you illegally and it doesn't mean the same mistake will happen to others:
http://www.ato.gov.au/superfunds/con...tent/22055.htm
Well that answers that question. Thanks JAJ, I was pretty sure once you got PR your super was staying in the country.

I have no issues with that actually since we will not be touching the money until we retire anyway.